• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLEXI 11 stability

paxas

Anyone else having problems with Flexisign V11 crashing all the time , has anyone found a way to limit this issue i.e. computer configuiration ?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I haven't had anyone complain about stability in version 11. Is there anything in particular that you can pinpoint that causes it to crash? If so let us know and we can try to reproduce it. In my experience the newer builds of Flexi are fairly stable and it is normally caused by something else, like antivirus software.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In all honesty I can say that we have not had one single crash with version 11.... That being said we are using the perpetual license version (SP6 build 2145). With the rental version there might have been some other updates that we have not been subjected to. We hammer on it hard too with everything from cut vinyl to 1+GB tiff images, 3 different deign stations submitting jobs to Production Manager, and Production Manager is configured with 3 printers and 2 cutters.

31legen

subscription version

Im running the subscription version, and anytime I make 2 or more clipping mask it crashes and it doesnt handle bitmaps, tiffs, or adobe plugins very well.

paxas

running Flexicloud with versaworks

Our crashes occur using the latest updates & builds (perpetual license version (SP6 build 2145) printing output sent to versaworks , crashes mostly when sending to versaworks but can occur saving files, exporting, or just clicking on a command to quickly while its doing something else. (ie. no specific cause ) running on windows 7 64 , with trend-micro antivirus, no other programs are malfunctioning on the computer. I know its a very broad scope from which to identify a solution
but I was interested to see if anyone else had issues.
ps. sorry to say this but we have found Flexisign to crash regularly on every version since Version 6.4 - it's just that Flexicloud Version 11 is crashing a lot more, I wanted to go back to V10.5 as that was the most stable version but alas that is not an option now as we have 2 years worth of files (made in V11) which wont work in an older version (obviously).
For some reason Flexi support don't seem to keep to help - once they discovered that owe version was a "free upgrade" from V10.5 !!!

computer specs:
Win 7 64
Ram corsair 12GB ram
cpu , core2 quad i7 3700
ssd 120 , HDD 1GB WD

Last edited:

paxas

conflicts with programs

I haven't had anyone complain about stability in version 11. Is there anything in particular that you can pinpoint that causes it to crash? If so let us know and we can try to reproduce it. In my experience the newer builds of Flexi are fairly stable and it is normally caused by something else, like antivirus software.

Any particular Antivirus or other app. that you know is likely to cause this ?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Some antivirus program was one thing I was thinking as well.....

In our scenario we do have Flexi split up. We have a dedicated RIP system which (Windows 7 x64) its ONLY purpose is to run Production Manager. We do not use that machine for anything else, especially surfing the web or anything so it has no antivirus software or any other software loaded except for the drivers needed for the specific machines connected to it and Production Manager. From our desktops we run the main Flexi Design program (it connects over the network to the Production Manager to send jobs) as well as other programs. Those do have Microsoft Security Essentials and on each we have specifically excluded the Flexi folders (including the Flexi temp files folders) from any sort of virus scanning. Our primary Client Files (network share from our SAN that we all connect to) is also excluded from virus scanning. We do have multiple levels of protection though - any files introduced to our systems or network are scanned either as the removable drive, disc, or files are downloaded, saved from emails, etc. Our security gateway (Checkpoint) has antivirus, antimalware, spam blocking, and more which catches things incoming from the internet at the edge plus MSE on each desktop.

One thing I would at minimum do though is whatever antivirus software you have should have a setting to exclude certain folders or file types. I'd make sure it is configured to exclude scanning the Flexi folders (including the Flexi temp files folder) and maybe even by file type make sure it excludes .fs files. Some antivirus software when scanning a file can put a momentary lock on the file which can cause all sorts of issues with some other programs that might be using the file. Especially if the antivirus software momentarily locks a file that it detects in use and decides to do a quick scan on.

Another thing to look at is your Windows Event Viewer. In there you should be able to find errors from when Flexi crashed and might be able to find some clues about what caused the crash. Sometimes an error will indicate some particular driver file was being accessed like a video card driver or something.... Its quite possible that you might just need to update a video card driver, network card driver, or some other driver on your machine. Quite often a device manufacturer might have a driver for something that for 99% of things works just fine but has some obscure bug that freaks out just one program. Of course the victim points their finger at the program for misbehaving when in reality it is some poorly coded driver...

Chimuka

I have had some problems as well and I have found that the SSD on my system is the culprit in some of my issues. I would like to test the program on my E: Drive ( the conventional 1 TB drive) although Flexi 11 would not be located where all the other programs . Tech support has stated there may be issues with the program loaded on E: drive but I would like to try it.

The issues I had was crashing even accessing folders where my user files were on the SSD. I moved them to a conventional drive and I have had no problems.

paxas

program conflicts

Some antivirus program was one thing I was thinking as well.....

In our scenario we do have Flexi split up. We have a dedicated RIP system which (Windows 7 x64) its ONLY purpose is to run Production Manager. We do not use that machine for anything else, especially surfing the web or anything so it has no antivirus software or any other software loaded except for the drivers needed for the specific machines connected to it and Production Manager. From our desktops we run the main Flexi Design program (it connects over the network to the Production Manager to send jobs) as well as other programs. Those do have Microsoft Security Essentials and on each we have specifically excluded the Flexi folders (including the Flexi temp files folders) from any sort of virus scanning. Our primary Client Files (network share from our SAN that we all connect to) is also excluded from virus scanning. We do have multiple levels of protection though - any files introduced to our systems or network are scanned either as the removable drive, disc, or files are downloaded, saved from emails, etc. Our security gateway (Checkpoint) has antivirus, antimalware, spam blocking, and more which catches things incoming from the internet at the edge plus MSE on each desktop.

One thing I would at minimum do though is whatever antivirus software you have should have a setting to exclude certain folders or file types. I'd make sure it is configured to exclude scanning the Flexi folders (including the Flexi temp files folder) and maybe even by file type make sure it excludes .fs files. Some antivirus software when scanning a file can put a momentary lock on the file which can cause all sorts of issues with some other programs that might be using the file. Especially if the antivirus software momentarily locks a file that it detects in use and decides to do a quick scan on.

Another thing to look at is your Windows Event Viewer. In there you should be able to find errors from when Flexi crashed and might be able to find some clues about what caused the crash. Sometimes an error will indicate some particular driver file was being accessed like a video card driver or something.... Its quite possible that you might just need to update a video card driver, network card driver, or some other driver on your machine. Quite often a device manufacturer might have a driver for something that for 99% of things works just fine but has some obscure bug that freaks out just one program. Of course the victim points their finger at the program for misbehaving when in reality it is some poorly coded driver...

Thanks for that advice , I will try those suggestions and see if it make an improvement, your feedback is much appreciated !

paxas

I have had some problems as well and I have found that the SSD on my system is the culprit in some of my issues. I would like to test the program on my E: Drive ( the conventional 1 TB drive) although Flexi 11 would not be located where all the other programs . Tech support has stated there may be issues with the program loaded on E: drive but I would like to try it.

The issues I had was crashing even accessing folders where my user files were on the SSD. I moved them to a conventional drive and I have had no problems.

Thanks Chimuka, I have tried that idea but in my case it didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. :thankyou:

S11930

had issues also

for some reason when i went to print paper proofs on my brother hl5250dl 11 would crash. It was stupid how many times and how crazy it world be. No warning. I changed everything including antivirus. I added exceptions in malware bytes and bitdefender. Finally i went out and bought a small wireless brother laser printer and the issues went away. Its not the program its a conflict somewhere else. Tech support is not there all the time, They are good but sometimes you have to stop being the sign guy and become the IT guy

paxas

for some reason when i went to print paper proofs on my brother hl5250dl 11 would crash. It was stupid how many times and how crazy it world be. No warning. I changed everything including antivirus. I added exceptions in malware bytes and bitdefender. Finally i went out and bought a small wireless brother laser printer and the issues went away. Its not the program its a conflict somewhere else. Tech support is not there all the time, They are good but sometimes you have to stop being the sign guy and become the IT guy

You are so right !!! Definitely need to to become an IT guy , there are so many variables with the different programs and their interactions. I am in the process of running the computer with minimal background apps using " msconfig" to see if I can find that sweet spot - a happy Flexi is a happy me !

IsItFasst

2 different computers (one XP with subscription and the other is Windows 8 with bought outright software) and both crash consistently. If I can go 2 days without the software crashing I consider it a victory! On my windows 8 computer I normally know when it's about to happen as if I go to open or save a file all the files in the preview window look odd (no preview icon, bold fonts or all squished together). Unfortunately when I see this it's normally too late to save anything.

For the XP computer it normally crashes when trying to do a cut. So it seems to be something in the production manager.

As others have said Flexi support really does nothing. Their email help just should be an autoresponder that says "reinstall the software" since that's the only response I ever get to anything if they do bother to respond.

paxas

You were right !

In all honesty I can say that we have not had one single crash with version 11.... That being said we are using the perpetual license version (SP6 build 2145). With the rental version there might have been some other updates that we have not been subjected to. We hammer on it hard too with everything from cut vinyl to 1+GB tiff images, 3 different deign stations submitting jobs to Production Manager, and Production Manager is configured with 3 printers and 2 cutters.

You deserve a medal for sure !, I removed the Anti Virus program plus anything else starting up in the background .various programs(apart from the essentials of course) and we haven't had a real crash with Flexisign for 2 weeks now, just a few "stalls" where it freezes for a bit with the "not responding" header but it comes right by itself in a few minutes, so this goes to show that it isn't Flexi's fault , just some compatibility issues to sort out .
So Thanks again for your post on this !!!:rock-n-roll: