• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi investment...

GP

After considering everyone's generous input and revisiting my business plan (moreover, my budget sheet), I am going to start off learning the business with a Graphtec 7000 cutter, though the 5000 is more in-line with what I have to spend. Any thoughts on this?

Seems I will also want to invest in the Flexi software package. As with most of what I am learning here, bigger is better, so most may recommend the Pro. But can I get away with the smaller bundle to save some money? I would appreciate some input---

Thanks again everyone...

GP

Flame

I still consider my Flexi purchase a mistake. If you're running a cutter, CoCut Pro and CorelDraw X3 would be an excellent package, and you could probably get it for $1K total or less. I used it for almost 2 years and liked it.

Flexi on the other hand, is almost useless as a design program IMO, but does have a well laid out RIP program. Some flaws here and there, but their production manager is good. The design part of it though.... yuck. Don't even get me started.

Bill Modzel

Bag Flexi and get the Adobe CS3 package.
In my humble opinion.
You're probably going to need PhotoShop and Illy anyhow. Why learn two different workflow's and the major expense of Flexi?
Graphtec has an Illustrator plug in also. Not positive if it's updated to CS3 yet however. CS2, yes.

GP

I was hoping that was a realistic approach. I wonder if I need the Co-cut software of if the Graphtec Design suite offers the capability to cut from Illustrator.

ChiknNutz

I know that there are many Flexi fans out there, I'm just not one of them. I prefer Corel X3, coupled with CoCut Pro for vinyl cutting and Wasatch SoftRIP for printing.

I also have Adobe CS2 suite, but I'm very inexperienced with them and really don't care for how they 'work'. I know Adobe may be more 'standard', but I hate how you have to zoom in them. What no friggin' wheel-mouse support? How archane is that? I love how the zoom works in Corel...wherever the mouse is and you wheel-mouse, that is the center of the zoom...very handy IMHO. Why don't the Adobe apps have something even similar...the 'CTRL +' and 'CTRL -' is so stupid to me!

Bogie

If all you are doing is cutting, Corel and the Graphtec plug-in (on the CD in the box - so is the manual...) may work for you. Try it before you buy anything else.

Do you have either Corel or Illustrator? Are you used to using them?

If not, and if you don't have any experience with them - why are you doing this?

Michael

I used flexi pro and now using Corel x3, all your getting from flexi is a slightly easier layout and rip program, things that can easily be matched in Corel, yet with Corel you can design also. Not to mention the price difference is rediculous, why spend so much for Flexi when corel can do the same and so much more :help:. In my opinion get Corel and save yourself some money I have had experience with both. Creating your own vector images in Corel is awesome also.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Why don't the Adobe apps have something even similar...the 'CTRL +' and 'CTRL -' is so stupid to me!

What do you do when you have a laptop with no scroll wheel or a one button apple mouse. If you get used to all the keyboard shortcuts, it becomes second nature....

I reccomend Flexi (or any major sign software for tha matter) only if you are doing a lot of production. I have Flexi and really like the production tools...but since I rarely cut vinyl, I really have no need for it and originally overbought...

GP

I do have experience with Illustrator. Alright in Corel, but I am more familiar with Adobe.

Is there also equivalent plugin for Illustrator on the Graphtec cd (which I now know comes in the box, along with the manual)?

I am just trying to maximize my investment, thank you.

fozzyber

Flexi's customer service can be summed up like this...

Attachments

• ky.jpg
    ky.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 147

Michael

Corel is cheap and does everything you need. Anyone who bought Flexi overbought imo. *ducks*.....But please remember I am an ex Flexi lover. Corel does everything Flexi can and so much more for so much cheaper, same with illy. Don't just dive into Flexi unless you have money to burn. Unless you ONLY do vynil and a ton of it you are wasting your money and will not have a god design platform.

resqfiremedic

Wow, I didn't know there were so many anti-flexi people out there. I started out using corel and a plug in but found out fast that corel is a design program for desktop printing. (maybe its changed but it used to layout so many nodes when designing which dont work good for cutting). I have since went tith Flexi and recently upgraded to 8.5. I dont regret getting Flexi but I cut a lots of vinyl and print. I find it does a lot of additions to your design easier & IS designed for sign making industry. It all depends or your future plans..... and wallet.

SignsRus

I suggest you test out some of the software before you make a decision.

Some people live/die by Flexi....

Photoshop CS3 & Illustrator CS3 are must haves. If you plan on staying in the business you will need these programs. They are worth the investments!

I like to use flexi a lot still though. Some people only use flexi =O

<3

thewood

Corel does everything Flexi can and so much more for so much cheaper, same with illy

Yep, just plug you large format solvent printer right into Corel and rip/print away. I get so tired hearing everyone beat up on Flexi. I love it. It is very powerful software that has an integrated production manager and RIP. If you prefer Corel or Illy, cool. But lay off Flexi!

Flame

If you plan on staying in the business you will need these programs. They are worth the investments!

That's pretty far fetched. I have Corel X3, Illy and photoshop Cs2, Flexi 8.0 and Freehand.

You COULD get by with any of these packs by themselves. I prefer having all at my fingertips, but do 98% of my work in Corel/ Flexi. Illustrator has been getting dusty, and I just use photoshop for oddball special effects for raster images.

It's all up to what you're comfy with, but by no means is any adobe product a "must have" IMO.