• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi issue with plotter offset

joelswork

Hey guys,
This is driving me nuts. I have my artwork done and put a cut box around it with a .02 radius on the corners. Everything looks perfect and checks out but when I open in in production manager and then send it to the plotter (hp branded summa, then again to my big summa T series) the corners are jacked up. I checked the offset on both plotters and the offset is set correctly in there. I also went in and thought it may be just from making the box so I changed the box to outlines and tried again, same issue. The design is good but something between Production Manager and the plotters is messing with the offset. Any help or suggestions. These are small flags but it really is bugging me.

Attachments

• 277810735_10220817323088505_4866304948578273514_n.jpg
    277810735_10220817323088505_4866304948578273514_n.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 278630088_10220817298687895_5241597967629202321_n.jpg
    278630088_10220817298687895_5241597967629202321_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 103

Saturn

Aging Member
How big is the piece?

Big rectangles (and circles) can be the worst at showing cut issues. Is this in all the corners, or is one corner particularly bad? I will occasionally get this on one corner when doing small radius corners as well. I usually imagine it having to do with material movement from the force of the blade itself, and things get the teensiest distorted.

I would get down at blade level and watch how flat the material stays on the surface of the cutter. If it comes off the surface or bulges at all while the blade is traveling around, that could be part of the cause. You can help with some of that by using more pinch rollers and/or more cut passes.

Another test you could do is to use that same cut shape, but lower your pressure so you're just doing a really light kiss cut, and see if it's still distorted.

joelswork

So I talked to a flexi agent for quite a while today and thought we had it, but we didn’t. Squares work, the plotter offset was perfect on tests, calibrated both media and OPOS, X&Y axis were spot on. Then we went into production manager and into plotter settings and thought we had it when we adjusted the knife offset in PM to match what’s on the cutter and clicked the box. It cut the rectangle and it looked right but upon later inspection it was really over cutting the offset. Larger radiuses were fine (or just too big to notice but that tight .02” radius just isn’t working). Speed and pinch rollers were looked at beriefly but since it was consistently bad on both machines over the entire 30 or 54” they were ruled out… stuck!

Saturn

Aging Member
I never go below 0.05", and often will make 2x2 and 3x3 stickers with corners at 0.1 to 0.15.

Now that it clicks how small you were trying to go, I don't think there's any good way around it. At some point it goes from jigsaw to bandsaw and the little blade just can't make those turns. :(

joelswork

The tangential cutter did do much better but still noticeable… I’ll give it a go at at a bit bigger radius to see if that helps. Thanks for the input!

Vassago

You've always got to remember the blade needs time to turn. The old gerber tangentials could just about do it as they rotated the blade to match the angle being cut and were slow, but small angles will always be a problem.also got to make sure the point of the blade is still there - that's an easy thing to miss