• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi problem

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That is crude and uncalled for in my opinion. You have a legitimate license to use the software then you should be able to use it. Adobe had that with their CS2 activation servers and they make a copy of CS2 available that does not require activation for customers that are licensed to use it that need to reinstall.

I'm against piracy and we are a long time Flexi shop but that really rubs me wrong. In this case I'd fully be 100% okay with cracking their software. This is also partially why I've always preferred the actual USB dongle versus the soft licensing but even those generally require some sort of activation. It is unfortunately just how things are though as a large percentage of software does require online activation now. Companies many go bust and for those it would be the same issue. I hate it with a passion, renting software forever (SaaS / "cloud" only, everyone is a beta tester all the time) but unfortunately many are going that way. SAi does still have perpetual licenses but I imagine they will probably do away with that model at some point although they were quick to clarify that when they did start offering the subscription model that they will still be doing perpetual licenses.

WildWestDesigns

Adobe had that with their CS2 activation servers and they make a copy of CS2 available that does not require activation for customers that are licensed to use it that need to reinstall.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they would do that again the next time a server goes bust. How many people (even on here) believed that Adobe was giving away a free copy of CS2 without needing to activate it? There is always some group that takes advantage of something and that blows up in the faces of those that play by the rules.

This is also partially why I've always preferred the actual USB dongle versus the soft licensing but even those generally require some sort of activation.

In my world, they really didn't require activation if you had a dongle (now that could vary from software to software) and some of these dongles are during the days of mainstream serial/parallel port use.

The issues that you did have where the dongle got broken, stolen, or just quit working. If it was a legacy program, just SOL and back then, this software actually cost more then it does now.

I hate it with a passion, renting software forever (SaaS / "cloud" only, everyone is a beta tester all the time) but unfortunately many are going that way. SAi does still have perpetual licenses but I imagine they will probably do away with that model at some point although they were quick to clarify that when they did start offering the subscription model that they will still be doing perpetual licenses.

Many are going that way and for a variety of reasons, but one that I find really ironic is that there are a lot of customers that are cheering on this new type of software licensing method. Which over the long haul, makes no sense to me.

I did find it ironic, it appeared one user on here liked the cloud/subscription method mainly due to the delivery of the install media (it was all digital). Didn't want the physical "footprint" of the boxes, optical discs etc. Thing is, that can be done with perpetual licensed software and could just rip the old optical discs to ISOs (something that I would recommend anyway since optical disc drives are not as common on new computers as they once were). All modern OSs recognize ISOs as virtual drives as it is and if one is VMing old legacy OSs to use even older software that can't run on modern systems, most VM software I'm used to does the same thing and translates that to the guest (VM).

I do agree that more and more software vendors are going to go that way, especially considering most of the customers seem to be cheering it on. I know some people went to DRAW when Adobe started CC only, now that DRAW is on a yearly cadence, I'm halfway expecting it to happen with DRAW.

You mentioned "beta tester", the last couple of yrs, everyone has been one of those, especially if they use Windows (although Macs only have what 3 yr cadence on OSX?) as that is essentially a rolling release OS with each major version going EOL every 18 months. Even though Fedora goes EOL every 13 months, I have had far better experiences with Fedora's updates then with my dad's Win 10 updates. I'm already puckering up with next month's update, wondering what's going to break now. Irony is, CentOS and RHEL are the only OSs that actually have 10 yr EOLs anymore. Window's has gone the way of Arch and Suse Tumbleweed, except with a rougher update history, at least in my experience.

greg nokes

So what does this mean without a dongle version of flexisign you cant install them any more? I was looking at buying a used version of FlexiSIGN Pro v8.6 v2 and was trying to confirm i it came with a dongle or not. But this post has me concerned that without the dongle it may not even work.

jimdtg

If you buy Flexi 8.6 comes with working dongle so you can use it without problem. If that copy was using Softkey license so it is no longer to get support to activate product to work.