• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi-Sign...who uses it? Poll??

Do You Use FlexiSign?

• Yes

Votes: 255 71.0%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.0%

• Total voters

Service Sign Co

I just spent the last half hour locating the old win 95 laptop and the lpt key for Flexi 2.5 I used it for neon patterns in the early 90's. It took forever to boot up. I sure don't miss those painful waiting days.You could only open 1 file at a time

Last edited:

weaselboogie

I just spent the last half hour locating the old win 95 laptop and the lpt key for Flexi 2.5 I used it for neon patterns in the early 90's. It took forever to boot up. I sure don't miss those painful waiting days.You could only open 1 file at a time

I bet that thing cost a small fortune.

8 colors in the color palette. .... :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have it on two computers. It's not my first choice for anything, but so many people use it that send us files, it is nice opening files in a same/same situation.

It seems like a pretty good program, I just have allegiance to other programs that I'm more familiar with at this time.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not much love for Flexi from me.
I use it to drive the plotters and the production manager to drop print files into.
Only reason I have it is because it was cheaper to upgrade from Inspire to Flexi than it would have been to purchase a RIP from scratch when I got a wide format printer.

wayne k
guam usa

(I'll bet Doug is surprised to hear this)

surf city

I use it for both vinyl and for my wide format printer. I like it it works pretty good but, I also like Corel.

HouseofVinyl

I use a combination of flexi pro and Corel X4 in my designs. I like the ease of flexi but use Corel for the more complicated designs.

c-leb

Flexi-Sign... who uses it?

I use Flexi Pro 8 as my main design/Rip/Cut program and supplement it with Photoshop, Illustrator, and sometimes AutoCad.

I agree w/Wildpony its a great supplement, but limited as a main design program. We use 7.5 on three machines so I dunno if the latest version has fixed some of the con's but yea...

Pro's (I've found): Vector welding (only rivaled by flash). Step and repeat is fantastic for ganging vector files with perfect distance, also useful in setting up multiple cut paths. Align, distribute, and snap-to tools are a step ahead of Illustrator and something Adobe should pick up on.

Con's: Limited capabilities with bitmap files. No tracing tools. Limited layer accessibility (forward one, back one, to front, to back... blah). Pantone color chart does not convert correctly (into Adobe) without changing color profile.

There are more pro's and con's but I use these daily. The program is well worth the $$ if your plotting, but for design and digital print production I'd stick with Adobe.

Wildpony

I agree w/Wildpony its a great supplement, but limited as a main design program. We use 7.5 on three machines so I dunno if the latest version has fixed some of the con's but yea...

Pro's (I've found): Vector welding (only rivaled by flash). Step and repeat is fantastic for ganging vector files with perfect distance, also useful in setting up multiple cut paths. Align, distribute, and snap-to tools are a step ahead of Illustrator and something Adobe should pick up on.

Con's: Limited capabilities with bitmap files. No tracing tools. Limited layer accessibility (forward one, back one, to front, to back... blah). Pantone color chart does not convert correctly (into Adobe) without changing color profile.

There are more pro's and con's but I use these daily. The program is well worth the $$ if your plotting, but for design and digital print production I'd stick with Adobe.
I love the step and repeat function! I don't do much bitmap editing with it, that's when I use Photoshop.
I'm using Flexi-Pro 8 and It has a nice Layer Pallet that gives you much more control than the forward, back, front, back

CrabbyOldGuy

We have been using Flexi since 1994. Before that we used Sign-Tronic for 4 years. Have also used Gerber 3 and 4B's and the next generation with the screen. Gerber was a workhorse if you had the time to input all the lines and such. Sign-Tronic was very precise and very expensive. Flexi was roughly 1/10 the cost of Sign-Tronic when we switched. Yes, there are some drawbacks to the Flexi, but on the whole, I use it everyday for what it was intended. We also use Illy and Photoshop. It is all about what you are comfortable with and what is best for the job at hand. I will probably have Flexi in the shop for many years to come.

peavey123

I use it at the shop I work for...but I really dislike it. If it was my choice I would just use strictly adobe products, occasionally Corel (which I use to cut vinyl from) and a good rip like versaworks or similar.

Ken

Yes, interesting about the vote count.
And thanks for all the comments.
I'm doing well enough with Corel..sending files to a Versacamm or a Graphtec (using bridge software). I'm not a high feverous production shop. So what I have is.."good enough"
Cheers!
Ken

cartoad

We use Flexi for most sign design work, finding it easy to work with, also we use AI, and Photoshop. We also use Corel Draw for the engraver.