• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question flexie

verde

I am having a problem with contour cut in flexie on a complex logo that was made in adobe illustarator

bannertime

I would love to help, but we're going to need some pictures or a bit more info. My guess is that you should copy the whole graphic, paste it, weld it all so that it's one shape, separate weld, and then make a contour path off that shape. That should get you going.

AKwrapguy

I am having a problem with contour cut in flexie on a complex logo that was made in adobe illustarator

Neat. Are you just making a statement or are you asking a question? If you asking a question how about being more specific such as:

Hey guys when I import a vector file that was made in Illustrator into Flexi and try to apply a contour cut around it _______________ happens.

I need to make a contour cut in Flexi with a graphics that was made in Illustrator but when I'm have a hard time with this for some reason it ___________, any one have any idea way?

Also screen shots would be helpful as well as more information about Illustrator file. Are there clipping mask? Did you make it or was it supplied by someone else? Is it a vectored image or a raster image just saved in Illustrator? Is the issue with Flexi or with the image? How complex is complex? Are you saving it as a .pdf, .eps or .ai? Is the computer you're using up to spec to use either of these programs? Which versions of Flexi and Illustrator are you using?

Flexi has many video on youtube that offer visual walk through on many of their tools and functions, have you tried looking there?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
AI doesnt always translate well into flexi. Often, there are multiple layers of the same vector, stacked so it is impossible to tell.

Try clicking on the surface layer and shift-moving it off of its original position, and seeing what is underneath.

verde

I was trying to ask question. im sorry was not worded perfect lol. im very new and this logo that I try to transfer always endup distorted or when I do get it open with no problems I have trouble with contour cut.

Attachments

• Johnsons Logo[25].pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 300

Rodan68

Sometimes it's easiest just to rasterize the image Bitmap -> Rasterize.
Make the background transparent Bitmap -> Make transparent.
Then select Effect -> Contour Cut to make contour outline.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If I am understanding you correctly....

You just need a vector for contour cutting...

Select all the vectors (not the bit map images) and COPY
Then paste in back
Weld or unite all the vectors, color it black, add an outline for bleed, then copy
Paste to front... remove fill color, give the outline color Flexi will cut too... done

See example...
By the way, hideous logo...

Attachments

• Johnsons Logo[25].pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 315

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't use Flexi much but you are asking how to do it there so here is one way.
Open the logo - make a copy to the clipboard or another layer and hide it.
Ungroup the logo - delete all the masked objects and bitmaps (should be one in the same)
Select what is left and use the contour tool on them.
Bring back your copy over the top - print and cut.
flexie.jpg

verde

Before I answer, what experience do you have in designing logos, or is this from another designer?
RICK THIS IS MY FATHERS COMPANY LOGO THAT SOMEONE ELSE DESIGN SO HAVE TO USE IT TO MATCH OTHER TRUCKS AND I AM A COMPLETE ROOKIE ON DESIGN

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
SO easy. Open in Photoshop. Save as PSD. Import in Flexi. Apply Contour Cut to whatever width of white you want showing. But before that, redesign the logo.

AKwrapguy

rick I have adobe illustrator and flexi.

Not rick but here's why your having an issue and what I would do to get the desired outcome you want.

The logo is a mixture of raster and vector elements. This is generally not a good thing and is evident of of someone that has little to no experience with printing or production. You will run into this a lot so it's something that you need to get used to. Unless there is some circumstances out of the designers control logo's should always be vectored.

So you have two options, the first is to rebuild the logo in a true vectored format. While it might take a little bit longer on your part it will save you a lot of hassles down the road. If this is something that you are unable to do, than I would suggest you take the time to learn. If you want to take a short cut you could pay someone who knows what their doing and have them re-create it.

The other option would be to bring the logo into Flexi, select the whole logo and rasterize it. Than use the 'make transparent' tool to select the white area around the logo. Now select the logo and apply a contour cut. This cut might be a little rough but this will be the fastest easiest way yo get what you want.