• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexiSTARTER v10 ?s

Christian @ 2CT Media

We are looking at getting a second plotter and computer and are entertaining the idea of using flexi starter just to handle the standard vinyl cutting and contour cutting. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer since the sales guys seem to be clueless.

1.) Does it support automatic registration marks?
2.) Does it output files for print with the contour cutting automatic reg marks? Hopefully in a standard format like .pdf, .ai, .psd, etc.
3.) Does it alter colors from design intent when outputting to file?
4.) Also has anyone used the PlusPRINT module, does it work well?

Thanks for your replies and insights.

Our current setup:
ONYX X10
HP L25500
GCC Jaguar IV 72"

Looking to add another GCC Jaguar and ONYX doesn't fully support the plotter correctly although "They are working on it", so we are looking for another solution until they do.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Good day, please take a look at this website http://www.saintl.biz/Features55.asp As you can see, FLEXI does not even list Flexi Starter. Flexi Starter was created to be packaged with the cutters to introduce folks to the Flexi family and subsequently UPGRADE. Since you did not say it, but you listed your set up, you must be using PhotoShop, Illustrator, CorelDraw for your print designs. Therefore, most vinyl cutter manufacturers include a 'bridge" program allowing you to design in Illustrator or CorelDraw and bridge the design to the vinyl cutter. This process would eliminate the need for Flexi Starter.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We use all three. Our GCC cutter uses a rebranded CoCut as the bridge and it sucks, I'm just looking for something simplistic that adds the automatic registration marks for me and subsequently uses them. I understand FlexiSTARTER is a jump off point, I'm just trying to find a solution to buy time while ONYX fixes the issue.

I've used Flexi in the past, for vinyl cutting it works well its everything else I don't like. We went with ONYX and its vinyl cutting is severely lacking so I'm just wondering if the starter edition provides all the vinyl tools and contour cutting tools like the full version with output to standard file types for print from a separate rip?

BTW Thanks for your response.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I purchased FlexiStarter v10 and I can now answer my own questions:

1.) Does it support automatic registration marks? Yes, Graphtec, Roland, Summa, and GCC
2.) Does it output files for print with the contour cutting automatic reg marks? Hopefully in a standard format like .pdf, .ai, .psd, etc. Yes, all standard formats including those listed in the question.
3.) Does it alter colors from design intent when outputting to file? Yes, but you can embed the original icc profile.
4.) Also has anyone used the PlusPRINT module, does it work well? Does not work with Starter according to SAi

Ultimately I can recommend this solution to anyone in my predicament, Although Onyx is "working on a solution". I feel Flexi's Cutting software is much better than Onyx's but Flexi's RIP is subpar.

CS-SignSupply-TT

2CT Media, COGRATULATIONS! on taking the plunge with Flexi Starter 10. As you have stated, you are very disappointed in ONYX and their cutting solutions, but their printing solutions are wonderful. Yet, you rate Flexi's cutting solutions as outstanding. perfect defintion of, "...you cannot be all things to all people..."

Christian @ 2CT Media

Definitely the case, Like the rest of this world perfection is an illusion. So far both programs have been playing nice and I have made a few print/cuts already one that was 10ft long with no issues.

I also couldn't pass up the deal I got from my cutter supplier, they gave it to me for $25 since they felt bad about the situation and all I had to do was buy some cutter blades from them!

ShawnE

How do you embed the original ICC profile?
I have a Mimaki JV3 and a Vinyl Express Jaguar 3 cutter.
I need to be able to diecut.
I have Flexi 7.6v2 which can diecut, but the colors when printing are horrible compared to the Rasterlink rip that we use.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Techman

Our GCC cutter uses a rebranded CoCut as the bridge and it sucks

I am wondering why cocut seems to fail you..

First of all it is a plugin for corel or illy. It is not a bridge . If it is being acting like /used as a bridge then there may be something missed in the setup/
I and many others used it for years and never had a single complaint.
Cocut is a pioneer and one of the very best there is for plugins for corel and illy. And auto cad too. It is one of the very best there is . Others may leave you more disappointed.

Most of the other programs used cocut as a model to write their code for the features. Cocut was around way back in Corel draw 6 as an add on (under a different name) So it's been around for a couple of decades.

Cocut pro has a ton of other features working with corel draw and illy that makes it equal to if nto better to any other sign cutting program there is. Yes it works with both corel and illy and autocad as a plugin.

Christian @ 2CT Media

GCC rebrands CoCut as GreatCut (or at least did when I wrote this back in 2011). I was just not a fan of the convoluted interface back then.

I have tried many cutting options: Flexi, Onyx, SignCut, SignLab, GreatCut, CoCut 2013 Pro, and have settled on the Corel Plugin from GCC. I can do everything in Corel now and never have to leave it, except to print.