• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluorescent Overlays Are Shorter Than Printed Graphics

TDFcustomSL

I have had this problem in the past but it hasn't been that big of an issue. Just curious if anyone here has and ideas as to why this is happening. I can print a panel that requires a cut vinyl overlay. When it is designed the overlay portion is also printed into the design. That overlay portion is then selected and cut out of vinyl. When we go to overlay it, the cut vinyl comes up shorter than it should be. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

• 20170319_145727.jpg
    20170319_145727.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 212

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Sounds like a feed calibration issue.
Draw up a square in your software of choice... eg. 1' x 1'.
Print, then measure the square... is it exactly 1' or slightly over/under?

TDFcustomSL

Sounds like a feed calibration issue.
Draw up a square in your software of choice... eg. 1' x 1'.
Print, then measure the square... is it exactly 1' or slightly over/under?
Thanks for the quick reply, I will give that a try. Im using a brand new HP latex 110 printer but also experienced with my old Mutoh. Also just upgraded to a Summa cutter from my vinyl express q54 so I was thinking maybe it was something with Flexi but ill try printing a 12x12 square and measure it. Thanks again

woolly

As said down to feed calibration. You can reduce the effect if you print and cut across the machines. And once you move away from standard materials the problem will show more.
Or if you have to go in the feed direction then calibration for that material.. or at worse squeeze stretch the cut art work

TDFcustomSL

As said down to feed calibration. You can reduce the effect if you print and cut across the machines. And once you move away from standard materials the problem will show more.
Or if you have to go in the feed direction then calibration for that material.. or at worse squeeze stretch the cut art work
Unfortunately, printing and cutting across the machine isn't an option since the sheets are sometimes 16 feet long. Thanks for the reply.

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's most likely due to the Latex printers heat causing length deviation. We have a 360 and have had a 260 and a 25500, and it has always been the case. It's typically slot easier to knock out the print and overlay it on to unprinted color then it is to get it done the way you are attempting.

TDFcustomSL

That's most likely due to the Latex printers heat causing length deviation. We have a 360 and have had a 260 and a 25500, and it has always been the case. It's typically slot easier to knock out the print and overlay it on to unprinted color then it is to get it done the way you are attempting.
Hey thanks for the reply, I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the Latex, but It happened sometimes with my old mutoh also. Im not sure if knocking out the print and laying that over fluorescent would really work in this situation but thanks for the input.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
A solution for that particular job would be to print all black (no "cut out" for the fluorescent) and then apply the cut vinyl. Doesn't solve the underlying issue of the print size and cut size not matching, but it would take care of the particular job.

TDFcustomSL

A solution for that particular job would be to print all black (no "cut out" for the fluorescent) and then apply the cut vinyl. Doesn't solve the underlying issue of the print size and cut size not matching, but it would take care of the particular job.
I was thinking the same thing when we were overlaying that car last night. Doing that should work on about every car we do. Thanks for your reply

Knep

I have been doing race car wraps since 2010, I have had a mutoh, and a mimaki, summa and graphtech plotters, and I I have this problem as well. With stripes its not bad, but when its test, or a cut 1/2 outline around text, thats where it gets difficult!

TDFcustomSL

I have been doing race car wraps since 2010, I have had a mutoh, and a mimaki, summa and graphtech plotters, and I I have this problem as well. With stripes its not bad, but when its test, or a cut 1/2 outline around text, thats where it gets difficult!
Yeah I've been doing race cars for about 6 years, some are worse than others. Some pieces line up perfectly, I was just curious what the issue might be. Thanks for your reply.

ExecuPrintGS

are the prints laminated? Could your tension be set a bit high causing a bit of stretch in lamination?

Like others have said, i would eliminate the knock out, or at east put a stroke on it to make it smaller, You still have the idea where the overlay goes but can account for the difference if need be.

TDFcustomSL

are the prints laminated? Could your tension be set a bit high causing a bit of stretch in lamination?

Like others have said, i would eliminate the knock out, or at east put a stroke on it to make it smaller, You still have the idea where the overlay goes but can account for the difference if need be.
Yes. the prints are laminated. I am using a US Tech laminator and just using the weight of the roller for pressure. On my next wrap i will see if the fluorescent lines up better before we laminate it or not and see if that could possibly be the issue. Thanks for the reply.