• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fluorescent Vinyl What One Lasts The Longest

njteaser

Just trying to figure out which Fluorescent Vinyl from any of the manufactures lasts the longest outdoors. I have a job pending that requires a green fluorescent vinyl color, and want to know what you guys recommend for using to get the longest outdoor durability.

Thanks,

NJ

S

scarface

Oracal in the Fellers book has a higher grade version that lasts up to 2 years i think

Pro Image

Around here.....If its not a race car it DOESN'T get Fluorescent peroid........I would rather not do the job than do it and have it fail.......I would try to talk the customer into something else if it was me.......if it is a permanent outside job.......

fisheye48

i did a racecar last year and used the good oracal stuff(only the local supply store had instock) and when i went to redo the car this year it had faded pretty good and all they did was wash the car with soap and water

Craig Sjoquist

green and blue lasts the longest ...what brand well 3M or Oracal would be best bet

I use paint cause of cost and ease ..but does not last as long UNLESS.. UV clear coat Ronan Aquathane .. but only time I do that is for more permanent when I letter 1-Shot on it
likes the fact that it fades some stores I do every 3 to 4 months .. during better economics

1leonchen

don't do it. i do used car decals for a dealer and flourcent red vinyl turned white after 6 months. great eye catcher though

ova

We use Kapco brand. It has a white adhesive that doesn't let the darker colors bleed through. We only use it on race cars. Somewhat expensive, but the race car guys want a good looking car to trash.

Last year we did mile marker signs (12 x 18 coroplast) for the big 20k race in town. They wanted something that would stand out, so we did black with an orange fluorescent outline. These were supposed to be up only the day of the race. The city got behind and didn't get them down for about a three months. The ones that were in the direct sun need redone for this year. Not good for permenant signage.

SqueeGee

I agree with what everyone else has said - Don't do it if you can help it. BUT, I have a job that I have no choice that requires flo. red and I have found that Oracal is the best for this application. It's actually the only Oracal product that I use. It's very thick - I have to use the same pressure that I use on reflective AND it's pretty $pendy. Good luck!

Williams Signs

Mac Tac has a product called luminesent it looks like floresent but supposed to have 5 year outdoor durability. I have used in the past with good results.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It is surprising to me that no one has actually discussed the nature of a fluorescent paint of film. When you understand that, you understand the futility of seeking long life from true fluorescent materials.

To be specific, true fluorescent pigments react to ultraviolet light and "glow". In doing so, the pigments are literally consumed in the process ... hence the normal life of a true fluorescent pigment is 60 to 90 days before a noticeable fade or loss of glow is seen. If you laminate it with a UV inhibiting film, you can extend the life a bit but only to the extent that you reduce the fluorescent effect.

If you need a longer life then you need to look at some of the very bright films from 3M and the like that catch the eye but do not fluoresce.

heyskull

I am in total agreement with Fred on this one.
Fluorescent materials fade because they are so so bright and react with the UV light.
There is no way you can extend this even overlaminating it with UV film.
If you live in an area which gets lots of sunlight it will fade faster it has nothing to do with what suppliers lasts longest.

SC