• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Fondling 101

Jillbeans

Here's a job I did today that I thought I might use to demonstrate something near and dear to me.
I am by no means perfect, and I'm sure I unintentionally step on people's feelings with my from-the-hip critiquing.
But I only want us all to better ourselves and our layouts.

Something that really bugs me is when someone can afford to by a custom font, then they just type it in and puke it out of their plotter...especially scripts.

Most scripts are supposed to be connected. Some even have little arms that can be added or need to be removed, like at the start of an "a". How often have we seen someone leaving their a with an arm outstretched with nothing to grab onto? I use that as a rule of thumb. If there is nothing that should be connected to that a (or o), cut off its poor little arm.

If you have an editing device in your program to manipulate the nodes, feel free to mess with them. Move things. Weld things together. I have actually seen lettering on vehicles where some novice just typed it out and stuck it on unwelded, cutlines included.

Take the alphabet used in this example, Mike Steven's Magic. He offers us an alternate "r" and "s" if we care to find it using our char map. Hold down your ALT key and type in 0137...you get an "s" that is highly connect-able. Because I can paint a script better than weed one, I like my scripts to look traditional. I could have just typed this in, thinly outlined it, deleted the original (my way of welding in GA), and cut it. But I didn't.

I am not the world's greatest sign gal, but I thought that maybe some of you never realized the options available at your fingertips by just using ALT characters, ungrouping, node editing, and welding your scripts.

Another thing I learned many years ago is this...if a decorative or script alphabet comes with capitals and lower case letters, you are better off using them together rather than going for the all-caps look.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 235
  • weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 153
  • bros2.jpg
    bros2.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 180

Techman

Thank you. I just saw a panel this morning that had the cut lines in it. I asked the person displaying it why he wanted those cut lines there. He said he didn't know what they were. Just that the gaps opened up and they appeared.

OOPS.. did I just make his garageeshopee sign guy look like an amature?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well said and explained.

These are the little things that most take for granted and don't put the extra time into for finalization.

Justin (Inactive)

Good points Jill. These are the things our customers don't realize or take into consideration when they ask us why it costs so much..."you just typed it out on a computer" they'll say. That's why they usually come back to the quality shops after a few experiences with the cheap guys.

Justin

Richard Flint

Script Lettering can be one the the most beautiful typestyles because there are so many variations of it. I love doing hand painted scripts. However, with the computer fonts.....most need that extra kerning.

MobileImpact

Thanks Jill for the info and as timing would have it, I got into a "warm" discussion earlier with a customer, wanting to know why I charge $80 for a certasin signwhen he get it from one of the franchise type shops for $58. He does, however like my layout better than the "crappy looking thing" they offered him. And guess what, he choose the $58 sign.

Oh well!

Kevin

Craig Sjoquist

must admitt computer fondling of fonts not done yet here of any real degree ...but fondling fonts by hand all the time, can't wait when I learn n do more with the computer ...thanks for the tips, hope to use soon
freedom is not free

dsi

Thanks Jill, we think alike... Always nice to get a friendly reminder from one of my favourite sign gals...

Sarah Script is my favorite script at the moment, I really must try to branch out a bit more though :cool: :Australia