• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font from 1939..

Ken

Hope you can see the image well enuf...the word AIRLINES...can anyone help with this?
Thanks...Ken

Attachments

• EDO 033.jpg
    EDO 033.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 284

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It looks like an engraved outline Ken. Nothing I recognize. If it was an actual font used in print, and it may well not be, it might not have made the transition into electronic type 50 years later.

Ken

Thanks guys..I went the hard way with this one and vectorized it myself using the bitmap and drawing over with Corel vectors.( the auto trace did not work for this one)..man that takes a long time. It's for one of these RC airplane guys...he is gonna do the weeding..I made extra copies for him as those letters will be about 3/8 inch. A non-paying job ( well, not really..lets say a low-paying job)
But some these RC guys that I have been doing a couple of jobs for..REALLY do some incredible scale model work. Next they'll be wanting me to make a scaled down instrument panel for the cockpit.
Cheers! Ken

Ken

But it is a cool font from that era..ok maybe it's not a font..but the style of it is really from those bygone days... the aircraft is a PBY flying boat, that in 1939, made trans-atlantic flights. Man those guys had some nerve!
Ken

Jillbeans

It could be something that was rendered by Alf Becker.
I have a book of all his Signs of the Times magazine alphabets, starting in the 1930s.
It really looks like something I've seen in there.
There have been fonts made which are based on his alphabets, sold by The Fontry.
You might want to check out their site, the font packages are not too dear.
I don't believe they have this exact one, tho. I think they have a Becker font as a free download, too.
http://www.thefontry.com/
Love....Jill

Cadmn

Thanks guys..I went the hard way with this one and vectorized it myself using the bitmap and drawing over with Corel vectors.( the auto trace did not work for this one)..man that takes a long time. It's for one of these RC airplane guys...he is gonna do the weeding..I made extra copies for him as those letters will be about 3/8 inch. A non-paying job ( well, not really..lets say a low-paying job)
But some these RC guys that I have been doing a couple of jobs for..REALLY do some incredible scale model work. Next they'll be wanting me to make a scaled down instrument panel for the cockpit.
Cheers! Ken
Ken print the cockpit stuff!!!!!!!!

Ken

Sorry, I missed the last 2 posts on this thread. Yes, I would do a print for instrument gauges. Never seen the Koloss font?
Ken