• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Management Software

Colin

Ok. And wouldn't one have to do that with Font Expert or any other "brand"? Or does Font Expert categorize them based on embedded info from the file?

Colin

So it seems like we have:

- Font Expert

- Suitcase Fusion

- Font Agent Pro

Good time for a shoot-out?

GypsyGraphics

hmmm... watching the videos on Font Agent Pro, it has some really nice features.

think i'll give the trail version a whirl on my laptop.

JoshLoring

GypsyGraphics said:
hmmm... watching the videos on Font Agent Pro, it has some really nice features.

think i'll give the trail version a whirl on my laptop.

GG- you will like it better. I had massive drag with suitcase. FAP is the best.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
For Mac users, I have used Linotype's font explorer X. A free version is available and it never fails me. Works on Snow Leopard, have not upgraded to Lion so I cannot comment on that OS

CentralSigns

At what point do you get noticeable drag? I have 18,000 fonts installed in a desktop and no noticeable drag at all using CorelX5. Laptop on the other hand is another story

Colin

At what point do you get noticeable drag? I have 18,000 fonts installed in a desktop and no noticeable drag at all using CorelX5.

Glad you asked; I've been wondering about this myself. I know there's no magic number, and it's a graduated scale, but generally speaking how many fonts can a person have installed (on a new Win7 Pro 64-bit tower) before noticing things slowing down?

Are you serious - you have 18,000 fonts installed?!? I was getting worried with ~1400 installed.

Colin

I'm noodling with FontExpert and I find that some fonts will be named with some number or abreviation of it's name etc (shown circled below), and yet the proper name will be shown (circled above) in FE. If the file was named or re-named with something other than it's proper name, how does the proper name show up - is it always embedded in the file somehow?

If a font like Eras has a name like "TT1234" applied, it will show in alphabetical order way down the list in the "Ts" not in the "Es" where it should be, so is there a way to have FE display the fonts by the correct name that it also seems to know?

I notice too that I'm unable to re-name fonts in Windows Control Panel > Fonts; why is that?

Attachments

• Font Names.jpg
    Font Names.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 107

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm noodling with FontExpert and I find that some fonts will be named with some number or abreviation of it's name etc (shown circled below), and yet the proper name will be shown (circled above) in FE. If the file was named or re-named with something other than it's proper name, how does the proper name show up - is it always embedded in the file somehow?

If a font like Eras has a name like "TT1234" applied, it will show in alphabetical order way down the list in the "Ts" not in the "Es" where it should be, so is there a way to have FE display the fonts by the correct name that it also seems to know?

I notice too that I'm unable to re-name fonts in Windows Control Panel > Fonts; why is that?

Every font has an embedded menu name which is normally different than the saved file name. In your example, you are looking at menu names in the larger type and the file name is in smaller type beneath it.

Colin

Every font has an embedded menu name which is normally different than the saved file name. In your example, you are looking at menu names in the larger type and the file name is in smaller type beneath it.

So is there a way to have FE display the fonts by the correct name which it also seems to know so that they display in proper alphabetical order?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So is there a way to have FE display the fonts by the correct name which it also seems to know so that they display in proper alphabetical order?

I don't know because I do not use Font Expert (the font manager, not the font identification program). I use a program named TypoGraf. It allows me to display the font menu name and the font file name which I display beneath my sample text. The sample text is far more useful as a text string of what you are comparing to or considering using.

Attachments

• typograf.jpg
    typograf.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 71