• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For all the iPad haters out there

CES020

First, I don't own one, and I don't own a Mac, so don't go down the "fan boy" route to reply :covereyes:

When the iPad was announced, the usual suspects came out in droves saying how stupid a product the iPad was and how it would never catch on. Remember all those conversations?

Seems it's crow eating time, as it's heading towards being the 4th largest consumer electronic category in the world.....

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39501308

Not bad for a fad, or a useless device no one will want or buy :rock-n-roll:

SignManiac

I'm perfectly happy with mine. It does only what I need it for. Anything else and I have some other device nearby. For something that will never take off, a lot of other companies are scrambling to get a competing product to market really fast.

speedmedia

The ONLY reason I haven't bought one yet is because it's non use of flash. I figure for something the is really meant to be a web cruising machine you killed a decent portion of your market by not allowing it. It is the only gripe I have with my iphone as well.

Thanks,
Kurt

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Apple has very good reasons for not including it on their phone/pad. I have heard it does not work so well on android phones. I don't use an Android so I cannot confirm

http://www.physorg.com/news204529168.html

I have had my iphone for over a year now and not sure what the fuss is all about. I don't use my phone to browse the web anyway so i never have a problem with no flash on my phone

I use my iPad for email and internet at home. Very rarely do I have a problem with it not having flash on it. It would be nice to have but not a big issue for me.

Flame

Yes, and the tickle me elmo amassed more sales in a 3 month span than most any child product on the market in our recent history.

Still was a dumb little toy that really didn't do much ;)

Joe Diaz

I've done quite a bit of research on the flash vs apple debate, being a flash developer, and there are a lot of factors to keep in mind.

It seems like the main excuse Apple is using is that Flash is a resource hog. That may be the case on smaller less powerful devices like smartphones and ipads, but what they don't tell you is the alternatives for flash including html5 and things like jQuery are just as resource hungry if not more. If you have the time and are interested just do a quick search on youtube or google. You will see all sorts of videos and accounts of people doing side by side comparisons of flash and html5 and the effects those files have on their system resources. Flash holds up pretty well.

The other thing I'm noticing is that many developers are coming forward saying that html5 MAY be a good replacement for flash in the future, but it isn't quite there now. For some things like youtube videos, html5 is good to go, but in other areas, like interactive content, html5 is where flash was 10 years ago.

You see you have to look at these different technologies like a country more so than just a language. Each country speaks their own language. One language may or may not be better than the other, but that other language has been around alot longer and so it may have more people writing it, better ways to write it and more documentation and ideas on how to write it in different ways. So that means Flash and html5 are more than just code. It's a community of developers and users. It is the people that write the code, the sites that utilize the code, the applications that are used to make that code and the user-friendliness of those applications. At this point in time Flash has a leg up in those categories.

Html5 may get there some day, but I would guess your ipad will be packed away in some box deep in your closet when it happens. And by then you will be messing around on your new and improved toy. In the meantime, there is large portion of the web that is unavailable to these iphone/ipad users. If apple is truly keeping their customers best interest in mind they would have found a way to put flash on these devices and let their users decide if they want to deal with resource hogging applications or use a different alternative to flash if a better one does truly exist. But I don't think this move is about keeping their customers best interests in mind. I don't think that is the case one bit.

Flame

You are an asshat. In other words, if you like Apple then you must be gay. Yeah and peecee users like to recite Star Wars movies, live in their parents basement and have never seen a vagina in real life

you have thin skin!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Apple must be doing something that concerns the industry, with the possible merger of Microsoft and Adobe, I'm guessing it's Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer who are getting kinda cozy right now... not that there is anything wrong with that...

My issue with Flash and the IPad is, give the consumer the option.. they could always turn it off, if you give them that capability.

SignManiac

I seem to have read somewhere that Apple has changed their attitude towards flash lately and have relaxed some of the developer restrictions that were in place before. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reversal on Apples part with regards to flash.

Joe Diaz

My issue with Flash and the IPad is, give the consumer the option.. they could always turn it off, if you give them that capability.
I feel exactly the same way. I couldn't have said it any better.

I seem to have read somewhere that Apple has changed their attitude towards flash lately and have relaxed some of the developer restrictions that were in place before. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reversal on Apples part with regards to flash.
If they do they will have egg on their face after all the stuff they have said about flash being so terrible. Although I'm sure they will find someway to spin that to their advantage. You have to give them credit for being pros at handling their image.

Colin

Meh. Technology overload. I get by just fine with my plain old cell phone (I know, I'm like a caveman), but when I leave the shop, I simply use call-forwarding to my cell, so I'm always reached.

The monthly fees for a smart phone (about $75 - $120 / mo. here in Canada) adds up to a frightful amount over the course of a year, and can't be justified by me.

Last edited:
Apple must be doing something that concerns the industry, with the possible merger of Microsoft and Adobe, I'm guessing it's Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer who are getting kinda cozy right now... not that there is anything wrong with that...

Not too mention, I just read that AutoCAD for Mac will be out this fall... shows how much Mac is catching on in the real world... when companies like AutoDesk want to make a native version for Mac after being strictly PC based for their entire existence thus far.

I majored in Computer Tech and was an IT guy for a few years after college...all I dealt with were PC's... until this year I always owned PC's until my stuff was stolen and switched to a mac. I will never look back, I find my mac way easier to use and far easier to navigate with my touchpad. I never use a mouse any more unlike my old HP laptop, preferred the mouse over the touch pad.

In the end it's simply a user preference but coming from a computer (PC) background and making the switch to Mac, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision :)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
AutoCad made a Mac Version... last version was around 1992. Exciting to see a Mac version... I may do the switch when it's time to upgrade.

Rooster

The fastest adoption of technology in a new product category ever.

For those PC fanbois who still think Apple is no good.....

.....check the scoreboard lately?

WildWestDesigns

Over the course of my lifetime I have had both and I remember when Apple was king of the hill before Windows, atleast at our house.

I think Apple's are alright. I have one that I have hooked up to the embroidery machine, but that's about it. There is more software that is PC based that I use frequently that I won't be able to make a true switch over, atleast in the near term.

There are also little things about the PC that I like versus the Mac. I certainly won't damn the Mac, but I just can't justify a total switch over(yet).