• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

former Star gas stations

lil Details

I am looking into buying an old gas station here and it was a "Star" station. I am going to have a detailing and possibly car electronics shop there. I am sure that the Star company went out of business 20 years or more ago. The building is a neat design and the way it sets is cool.

I am looking to find some sort of idea of what the old sign looked like. I want to think it was simply a white sign with STAR in blue, but I am not sure. Didn't look that close back then.

It is historical in a large sense here and I am thinking that resurrecting the old name and design would be a good way to touch people...

The local historical lady didn't get any pics of the place before it was defunked enough that it was just a building. I am looking for other Star stations in the surrounding towns too, but just not found anything yet.

Anyone have any ideas??

Vinylman

Try your local historical society, or the local library.
I did a quick google search, and the only reference I could come up with was the original TEXACO gasoline company.

I think if you are careful and creative, you can do a great job on the "retro" look for a new logo.

omgsideburns

we have a guy who tints windows in an old gas station building, he's had it all redone to look like an old Gulf gas station, but without the name (except on a pump inside the shop). looks nice.

Brandon708

That's a great Idea. Does this gas station have a bay or 2?

Do you mean Texaco Station? I know they have a star in their logo.

we also have a member at signs one oh one that specializes in...i believe the word may be 'petroiana' and i am certain i spelled it wrong...but also certain it will be corrected.

i would venture that just by the name of this topic that he will stumble across this thread and may be a good resource for you...and also a good person to correct my incorrect term and or spelling.

if he doesnt you could do a quick search for him.

OldPaint

this what you lookin for?

Attachments

• whitestar.jpg
    whitestar.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 132

lil Details

I may have found a photo of one of the stations in another town. I am going to go there tomorrow and see what I can get....

I am excited!!

lil Details

the link is a pic of one of the signs from Centralia, IL

we just went there today and the pics are from the museum there of a match book, a close up of the pump in a photo, and the photo that the close up is from.

pretty sure the last sign at my soon to be location was like the one on the link with the thin star added.

http://www.gassigns.org/star_service.htm

Attachments

• star matchbook front.jpg
    star matchbook front.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 130
  • star station 1b.jpg
    star station 1b.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 138
  • star matchbook back.jpg
    star matchbook back.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 110
  • star gas pump close.jpg
    star gas pump close.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 115

OldPaint

buy the looks of it it was smaller local spinoff from TEXECO. SUNOCO had local stations in ohio, that was named BORON & SOHIO.

lil Details

pics of the building I am looking at.

Attachments

• star north end smaller.jpg
    star north end smaller.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 105
  • star west side smaller.jpg
    star west side smaller.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 126

HaroldDesign

I've seen places like that as sign & vehicle graphics shops. Always been curious as to where in the the hell the equipment goes, but don't ever want to stop in "just to see". Are these a bit larger than they appear?

dman0427

That does look like a neat layout.
Would the signage go right on the building or do you have a pole sign?

lil Details

the building is about 40' x 20' and the bays are around 14 foot wide. There is nothing left here of the old signs. Nothing in the building but an older sales counter but no signage other than Marlboro....

There is not a huge amount of room for a work room. There is a loft over the non-bay side that has the furnace there now. I am sure it would work out for a place to put a few things if needed.

Not really planning to do signage out of there. Detailing mainly with window tinting and going to look towards doing Car Audio and Electronics.....

I am still searching for pictures of other stations around....

I plan to put a pole sign out by the corner and some sort of sign on the building as well.

Signguyno1

we also have a member at signs one oh one that specializes in...i believe the word may be 'petroiana' and i am certain i spelled it wrong...but also certain it will be corrected.

i would venture that just by the name of this topic that he will stumble across this thread and may be a good resource for you...and also a good person to correct my incorrect term and or spelling.

if he doesnt you could do a quick search for him.

The word is Petroliana, highly collectible items, gas station collectibles, very big hobby!

Check out www.checktheoilmagazine.com

FrankenSigns.biz

http://www.fuelpizza.com/

This pizza place started out in an old gas station across the street from a comic shop I owned at the time. They have really used the old gas station thing to their advantage. Of course it may not have worked so well if their pizza wasn't so good.

I really like the potential of what you have there. It looks like they've removed the old gas tanks from the ground. You'll have decent parking and easy egress. I'd go for it.