• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free color conversion tool from FireSprint.com

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
When the media is profiled correctly, most every RIP has the Pantone libraries built in with LAB values and will print them as accurate as your ink's color gamut will allow. Converting pantone to CMYK for inkjet printing is basically just telling the printer to print this random CMYK value and ignore the Pantone provided LAB values.
Very true, but the CMYK value is not just random and the conversion is a daily routine for a vast amount of printed graphics, especially for designs combining PMS colors and photos.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
RGB values are just a reference for online/web colors but again vary by the temperature of the screen or tube in older tvs. (think Walmart tv wall and they all look slightly different). Accurately profiled monitors can produce very accurate and repeatable color
Sorry, RGB values are a foundation of the color, any color correction, and the data path of the color. Not to be underestimated. The RGB model is usually where both training and image-making begins.

C5 Service&Repair

Colorcrest it seems you're taking small phrases out of my answer then making an argument out of context.
I'm not at all making broad statements about color spaces. I'm only referring to the values on the Pantone book for a particular color.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Colorcrest it seems you're taking small phrases out of my answer then making an argument out of context.
I'm not at all making broad statements about color spaces. I'm only referring to the values on the Pantone book for a particular color.
Sorry if I haven't been clear earlier, but my issue is that conversion tools should tell the user which color spaces are used as the working reference. This fact should be understood because it's necessary for accuracy. Otherwise, misplaced blame ensues as it often has.

Other than that, I would like to get the facts straight.