• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

free grommet plugin

Tovis

Anybody know of a free plugin or script for PCs that automatically adds grommets to files in illustrator for banners?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Dot Placement = manual placement of marks on yor print.

I think it's pretty much up to your judgement as to where to put them. Typically every two to three feet, depending on the size of the banner.

It wouldn't be hard to make some templates of your most common sizes and just import the pattern onto your design.

Not much easier than that.

JB

mudmedia

what james said would work I dont use any template I just measure out with it being laid out on a table...I know onyx does sale a plugin but its like 400 bones...Look neat but banners are suppose to be easy fast temporary signs...Spending the money on a plugin didnt really make sense because i dont think i ttakes much time to mark the grommets out

anotherdog

??? Bizarre. placing grommets in illustrator is about the easiest operation there is;
create a dot centred in a transparent box an inch or 3/4 on a side.
10ft banner, 6 grommets placed and then use align to distribute them evenly along the edge. copy paste align for the other edge= grommet ever two feet.

You want to throw money away, throw it at me.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
??? Bizarre. placing grommets in illustrator is about the easiest operation there is;
create a dot centred in a transparent box an inch or 3/4 on a side.
10ft banner, 6 grommets placed and then use align to distribute them evenly along the edge. copy paste align for the other edge= grommet ever two feet.

You want to throw money away, throw it at me.

great tip we usually just manually place it onto the physical print

xanderortiz

We have always done the following 2 options (unless the customer has a special need):

All 4 corners + every 2' to 3' (whichever is the greatest common denominator)

or

All 4 corners + 1 in the center of both top and bottom (generally shorter than 6 feet)

And sorry, but it was hilarious when the OP googled a "DOT PLACEMENT" plugin. :D

sfr table hockey

Anybody know of a free plugin or script for PCs that automatically adds grommets to files in illustrator for banners?

I tend to set up a file for each standard banner size I tend to do. 3'x6' 4'x8' etc. and on that file place the grommet spots. Then I just open that file to start a layout and the grommets are there from the start.

I also tend to place the grommets like this: Corner on then 2 feet and the set of 2 etc. The set of 2 are about 2 inches apart.

o....................00.................00.................00.............0

This lets you weave a rope through and only see the rope on the front where it passes through the set of two grommets. With knots tied just before the corner grommets (to the inside) you can pull a rope tight and the knots (if placed right) keep the banner tight on the rope and the banner does not slide.

2B

our work table has marks every 12 inches both sides of the table,

lay the banner on the table, grand the press and there you go free grommet plugin

OlsonSigns601

I draw them in Corel Draw and I think I've got the process down pretty good.

I will share....

After I've designed the banner I group my banner so I don't accidentally move anything.
I move the entire design to the 0x 0y coordinate.
Then I draw a rectangle over the banner. (Generally the square tool will snap to the edges of the design.
I then Pop in a .75" inside contour
Make a circle .25" in diameter and a color opposite of my banner.
Place the .25" circle in the upper right corner (It should snap center on the point of the contour line you just made.
Clone the circle (Defaulted to + on my machine)
Then change the coordinate to a negative number (Example if its 47.25 I make it -47.25)
This puts an identical grommet hole in the exact spot on the other side.

If its a 6' banner I clone it again and put it at the 0 coordinate and that will be dead center

If its an 8' banner, I clone it again and then divide the x coordinate by 3, clone it again and either make the number positive or negative depending on what side I cloned from.

If its a 10' banner I place one in the center like I do on a 6' banner, then I select the the corner grommet and center grommet and copy the X Cordinate. (This should be center between the two grommets) Then clone one of the grommets and paste in my coordinate, clone the one I just moved and then change it to either positive or negative.

I then add a 1" outside contour and break it apart from the original rectangle. This makes my cut line for a taped hem.

Once Complete I delete my original rectangle and send my cut line to the back leaving me my graphic with all its grommet holes printed and a line for my guys to cut with for the hem. What takes me about a minute to do would take my guys about 5 extra minutes to do and god knows how uncenter and off they would pop the grommets.

Kinda lot to read and follow, but I'm actually in the process of making a document with pictures on on how to do it for my other guys to follow because for the life of me, they can't seem to get it right. I had one guy put my grommets in the wrong place and the banner got ripped in a wind storm. Grommet placement is key to quality banners.

signswi

I think Onyx has an illustrator plugin for grommets but really we just have the table people/finishers measure before they put in the grommets, according to the work order.

Their time is cheaper than a designers and it's an operation that only takes moments anyway.

ucmj22

just make a few standard sizes, with the dots placed where you want them and save them blank and use them as templates.

beermonster

illy or indy make great templates - and to be honest it's simple

i make a document bigger than my banner by tape width we use - i make margins inside which represent final face size

small stroked box around entire thing to trim to

place a dot whatever distances in and down from top corner - step and repeat downward to lower corner

group these 2 dots and step across sheet as needed - it actually takes in reality about 10 mins

save as template

keep all marks etc on a locked top layer and place all new graphics below on unlocked layer - increase in size if needed to fit margins and it'll hidethe crop marks too - sounds complex - takes minutes though

Typestries

There is an onyx plugin for illy.
http://www.onyxgfx.com/index.php?area=viewinfo&action=article&id=46

But, it's practicality depends on your volume and workflow.

For us, we process a very wide variety of file types. That would mean many times we would be bringing cumbersome files into illy, making a new file, and adding a potential error point, just to save a bit of finishing time.

So, we have our rip set up to print all the trim marks we need. Then the banner tables are all marked every 2' and grommets are a snap.

Everyone has a workflow that works, this works for us.

JoshLoring

Create a graphic style in illustrator, or a scaled stroke with little dots that represent where to punch. Easy money.
Any new banner just apply the stroke or style.

p3

I know this post is old, but I was searching and came across it. After seeing this, I asked one of my co-workers that is really good in illustrator if she knew an easy way to do this. She didn't have a quick response so I figured it wasn't as common knowledge as I thought it was. I created this video super quick with no editing (sorry for the crappy quality) just to show it. So here you go - an easy way to split things into grids in illustrator and space your grommets perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBUYZ1zxclA&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;SBUYZ1zxclA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBUYZ1zxclA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

If you want more help - tutorials - give-a-ways anything you're looking for let me know and I will help you the best I can :)