• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

friction fed vinyl trouble

salvauser

I've noticed the vinyl would be aligned at the beginning of the cut, but after 24" or so of cutting, one side would start to get lagged. I tried cleaning the rubber rollers, but they seem to have a coat of something on top of them.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all.... what kind of machine are you using ??

Next, what media are you running through it ??

Last, how long has it been since you last cleaned the machine ??

jbennett

On my Summa, I can usually fix this problem by cleaning the drum (part the roller contacts) with a piece of vinyl (adhesive side against drum. This usually works. I have had the same problem many times.

jbennett

Baz

I dont know if your doing this but it might help ... When i put in some vinyl to be cut i pull about half of the lenght of vinyl needed to cut what i am sending. Then track backwards to the begining. This is when you see how alligned your media is in the plotter.

salvauser

I am using a Roland PNC cutter and the media is Oracal series 641.

That last tip seems reasonable to me. I would also try that.

Thanks

BobbyFosson

Very well could be a "coned" pinch roller wheel as well.... Very common with rubber coated wheels, such as the Roland's. Summa's tend to be a hard plastic and do not wear that bad but it is possible.

Check to see if the tracking problem can be reproduced with a scrap sheet of vinyl about 3 feet in length... Not attached to a roll on the back of the unit.

If the 3ft scrap tracks fine, could be the pinch roller wheels or the grit bar or even the vinyl rack bars behind the unit... Maybe uneven or bent or simply one of the steel bars is not correctly in place.