• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

frosted hell.

CP Signs

Then I'm nuts also. Always always and everything dry. A new supplier gave me a jug of Rap 2 over 2 years ago and it's still sealed. There is a customer who asked me for a quote for 11 windows at her house. She said I was $350 more expensive then the other place she called. A week later she asked me to do it. The other company ruined her heritage wood floor because of all the liquid that dripped on the floor.

I've got one of these installs coming up and I hold my breath every time. Who has the best recipe for a soap and water mix?

According to Oracal, you use a teaspoon of regular Joy or Dawn dishsoap mixed with a quart of water. However, to me that siunds like a lot more soap than is really necessary.

HulkSmash

According to Oracal, you use a teaspoon of regular Joy or Dawn dishsoap mixed with a quart of water. However, to me that siunds like a lot more soap than is really necessary.

If you're going to wet apply use baby shampoo. It has no suds. Use a regular spray bottle full of water, with 1 cap full of the baby shampoo.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For frosted vinyl applications and decorating electric sign faces we usually mist water on the back of the vinyl and put a little weasel p!ss on the substrate. Squeegee hard/firm strokes right away and usually have no problems whatsoever. On smaller areas, we'll probably do it dry.

We've tried it dry and we've had mixed results, so wet for frosted for us.

How in the world could someone ruin a floor using the wet method ?? Were they taking a bath, too ??

John Butto

Gino's weasel stuff

For frosted vinyl applications and decorating electric sign faces we usually mist water on the back of the vinyl and put a little weasel p!ss on the substrate. Squeegee hard/firm strokes right away and usually have no problems whatsoever. On smaller areas, we'll probably do it dry.

How in the world could someone ruin a floor using the wet method ?? Were they taking a bath, too ??

Gino sent me some of this and it smells a little but does it make the frosted stuff stick.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations

Lol! Weasel **** works every time! How about Camel ****??? Sure you can install frosted dry but it's no where near the quality as applying it wet. Wetter is always better...that goes with a lot of things in life:thumb:

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
It is a technique that is similar to the way you would use a big squeegee but without the big squeegee. Maybe uploading a video will give a better explanation.

I would be much appreciated if you could post a video about this technique? Thanks man.

wmshuman

I will see what I can do about making a short video explaining the technique. It is not the center hinge method but is similar. Instead of taping right thru the center of the graphic, you would tape the left edge or right edge. So basically you can lay the vinyl down in one complete pass instead of half and half like the center hinge method.

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I have done hundreds of full coverage etched windows for Prime Outlets Mall in Florida.
I have seen this exact thing happen with Oracals 8510 series. What you are seeing is residual fluid stuck behind the vinyl and the window. This has caused the adhesive to cloud where bubbles of fluid have set for a few hours. It will eventually clear up when the fluid completely evaporates through the vinyl, but may leave a slight ring where the spots were. Poking the bubbles and squeezing out the fluid is an option, though you have to be careful not to stretch the vinyl when forcing the fluid out. Also when the vinyl eventually shrinks a bit, your poked hole will be visible. Your best bet is to completely redo it if you want a perfect outcome. When I apply full coverage frosted, I apply wet with soapy water, I find that Rapid Tac starts to stick to quick and causes me to rush, which can cause tears. I use a lots of fluid and a brand new 3M gold squeegee. Once the initial squeegee application is done, I spray the now covered surface again and squeegee out any remaining fluid. By squeegeeing a wet slick vinyl surface, it removes any friction and helps the fluid to escape out the edges. I have used this method on pieces 48" x 144" with a perfect outcome. Removing etched glass is my 2nd least favorite thing to do. Hope this helps.

John Butto

czarhelix: saw a video where to take off etch from glass, he sprays the etch with a lot of water and then puts bubble wrap or plastic over it. Lets it stay on for 2 hours and then peels it right off. Will look for it and if I find it will post it. Felt squeegee work the best for me and use the Avery etchmark.

gabagoo

I have found with some brands of frosted that if you use a plastic squeegee it actually marks the vinyl up. Not very noticeable until direct sunlight hits it....