• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted window film with intricate design installation

elitetech

It takes me 4 hours to installe frosted window film with design cut out on it. The job looks unprofessional with wrinkels and I also look unprofessional, even though I am :rock-n-roll:

Any suggestions or techniques on installing frosted vinyl with intricate design on them.

elitetech

I use rap tac (wet)when installing. The issue is, frosted vinyls are so thin when you add design and cuts and holes, the one vinyl tutns in too 100 different pieces. If the frosted doesn't have cuts, its so much easier. It's the dam cut out areas.

MikePro

wet, always wet for any translucent material.
for full fields, i prefer soapy mixtures for the slide-ability. contour cut letters/designs deserve a little more love and need the rapidtac install, as it allows the vinyl to stick more aggressively once you've thrown a squeegee to it.

I'm also a fan of just installing the field anyways, even with contour cuts in it, and simply weeding out the negative once its on the glass. just my $0.02.

elitetech

I have heard of using with soft transfer tape,just like vinyl lettering, any one tried it, or any other suggestioms?

weaselboogie

I usually do wet on glass because any miniscule airbubbles would show on the backside. It takes a lot longer to stick, but it has better results.

quint1444

I am a window tinter by trade. Maybe help me on my post for advice, but here is some for you in advance. First of all, use a frosted film. The vinyls are too hard to work with in comparison. Once you cut your film and weed it you will need to put a low tac transfer tape on it. You will apply this wet. The solution will need some soap, but not too much. 2 quick squirts of Joy in a gallon will do. Clean window, pull liner completely off, wet both film and window, apply, soft squeegee water, then use blue max and do it again with some pressure. Let it sit for a bit before you pull transfer tape, and pull slowly. Hope this helps. Email me if you need any further help. Good luck.

Circleville Signs

I truly don't understand all of the calls for wet application. Maybe for a huge graphic (4'x8' or larger) and a 1 person application, I can understand wet - but otherwise - dry all the way.

quint1444

I am new to vinyl from a sign aspect, but from a tint aspect we always go wet. I guess it really depends on the media being used, and the type of adhesive it has. Most true window tints are made from polyester. Applying wet allows the media to be moved, easier to remove all air bubbles, and pulled back if needed to remove trash.

Circleville Signs

I am new to vinyl from a sign aspect, but from a tint aspect we always go wet. I guess it really depends on the media being used, and the type of adhesive it has. Most true window tints are made from polyester. Applying wet allows the media to be moved, easier to remove all air bubbles, and pulled back if needed to remove trash.

If you've properly prepped your installation surface, and know how to align and properly tape and hinge graphics, then there shouldn't be any "trash", and you shouldn't need to lift. If it is super windy outside on the day you are installing, i could see possibly going wet, but personally, that's when I call the client and tell them that the weather will not permit installation that day and re-schedule it.

CES020

I think the case for wet application is that if you install it dry, you have to be perfect and right 100% of the time. If you install it wet, you don't because you can resolve most issues.

I don't know where those that say "dry" work, but I have this guy, Mr. Murphy, that follows me from job to job. If I did all the installs of frosted we've done dry, I would have made many a trips back to the shop to resolve issues Mr. Murphy would have put into motion.

Circleville Signs

I think the case for wet application is that if you install it dry, you have to be perfect and right 100% of the time. If you install it wet, you don't because you can resolve most issues.

I don't know where those that say "dry" work, but I have this guy, Mr. Murphy, that follows me from job to job. If I did all the installs of frosted we've done dry, I would have made many a trips back to the shop to resolve issues Mr. Murphy would have put into motion.

I'm not saying mistakes don't happen - they have bit all of us once or twice (or two or three dozen times). However, I'm not willing to compromise the overall integrity of the job because occasionally things will go wrong.

That's just my experience and the way I do things. End of the day - a dry installation will result in a better end product that will have less of a chance of failure than a wet install will.

CES020

However, I'm not willing to compromise the overall integrity of the job because occasionally things will go wrong.

That's just my experience and the way I do things. End of the day - a dry installation will result in a better end product that will have less of a chance of failure than a wet install will.

Got any proof that a wet install is a better product or better end result? I've installed a fair amount of this stuff and I'd challenge you to walk up to it and tell me if it was wet or dry installed. We've also never had a failure. I'm not sure how much better than "never" you can get.

Ponto

Got any proof that a wet install is a better product or better end result? I've installed a fair amount of this stuff and I'd challenge you to walk up to it and tell me if it was wet or dry installed. We've also never had a failure. I'm not sure how much better than "never" you can get.

...I'm in this camp and have had great results..........wet "mist" as opposed to wet "flood".............

JP

HulkSmash

wet install is just a bad practice. It's, believe it or not, harder to do then a dry install.