• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

frustrations getting started, pnc 1000

joostio

hello folks. another new guy here. I have been trying to get my pnc 1000 to start cutting. so far no luck (actually, lots of luck, just bad luck). I bought the cutter off ebay. It runs through its test function just fine.

I have formatted my hard drive, installed xp and corel x3, at this point I am hopping to cut directly from corel. I also downloaded the drivers from Roland DG site. I also have the service and user manual for the cutter (thanks Ian). I bought a parralel cable new from the source and hooked it up with great expectation. Like a "virgin on prom night" things did not go as expected.

I drew a basic circle on corel, converted to bitmap and then traced it (I assume this is how one makes a vector graphic?) I then sent the job to the printer/cutter. An errror message would appear (on the computer) with no info as to what the error was. Upon further inspection I realized the job was being sent to the wrong port on the computer. i changed it to Comm 1 port. Still getting the error message when trying to print. I then looked through my user manual for the PNC and read about input selection. I then adjusted the PNC to recieve info through the parralel port. At this point I thought it would all work. Now I don't even get the error message.

I am not sure if the jobs are going to the cutter, or if I am sending poor info (not a vector) or if the computer even knows that there is a cutter hooked up, also I have no vinyl yet, I removed the blade, will it try to cut with no paper loaded? where should I go from here?

thanks for the help

Pro Image

Corel is a vector program you dont need to convert to a .bmp and back the line are already a vector.......

you have a parallel cable.....you need to be running out of a parallel connection on your computer not a serial........P to P S to S ......

You might also need to get a null modem cable to make it work.....I cant remember if it needs one or not......

PS
Check out Co-cut...its a plug in for Corel it will help you out......

Arlo Kalon 2.0

When I had the identical circumstances you mentioned getting a PNC950 to cut, the steps to resolving it were:
!. Download and install the correct driver
2. Hook it up via a null modem adapter
3. Be sure dip switches were set correctly

It has worked flawlessly ever since.

Techman

use the printer dialog, u send the job to the printer (cutter) via the parallel port.
also you have to set a hairline outline around the object you want to cut.

OldPaint

call me 850-944-5060
but 1st learn COREL.... it is A VECTOR program, anything you put on page..is a vector!!! all vectors need a HAIRLINE on them so the plotter can read its XY coodinates. take out the color not needed to cut vinyl. you need to go to www.rolanddg.com and d/l driver DO2729OJ.EXE this is the right driver. you need to connect to plotter from youre LPT-1 port....and in corel you treat graphic as you would if it was hooked to a printer.
you need to SET PRINT PAGE to 19.50 x 62.99 and you need to make your layout page that size.
you will get ERROR#15 on the plotter window ignore it.
you will need to set XY on the plotter so it relates to page you have set in corel............................

joostio

thanks so far.

The driver OP mentions is the one I think I already have but.... My computer thinks I have a roland camm-1 cm-12. I probably got the wrong model selected from the site, although that driver seems to run many cutters. thought it might work anyways.

I am trying to go back to the roland dg site but it is not working for me right now, site down?

I got my first post wrong, I did have it plugged into the lpt1 port and also selected that in my printer properties.

the good news is the printer responded top my computer twice when I tried to send a print job. Atleast I know my computer is talking to the cutter, now if I could only get the cutter to listen to the computer I would be set. It is not cutting my simple circle, without pens or vinyl to cut I am lost as to what it is trying to cut. But I am happy it moved, its a start. I am used to doing things the hard way, being stuborn has both its advantages and disadvantages.

I thought I read on here that you only need a nul modem if you use the serial cable?

on a side note, I broke my motor bike fender in 4 places yesterday in a nice little crash and look forward to making the custum decals for the new fender. Nice project to get the feet wet. Now I know what colours of vinyl to get.

So now I need to get the right driver and get the computer to realize I have a pnc 1000 instead of the camm 1 cm12. I don't work at my day job tomorow so I should have a chance to get this thing going. thanks so far.

OldPaint

in the do2729oj.exe driver it has ALL ROLAND PLOTTERS.
the PNC-1000 OR PNC-1000A is what you need as it is the only roland plotter that cuts 15", 18", & 20" wide material. you might get away with a PNC-1100, but that is 24" plotter....

joostio

roland site is working now, got the driver again and installed. the computer still thought I had a camm1 cm12. no wonder I can't get the page width to cooperate. I went into the printer properties and got it to register as a pnc 1000. My page widths are no longer an issue. I have it set to 19.5 and 62.99 on my project page and also in the printer properties although, there it is listed in mm.

Now the cutter makes noise every time I send a job,. but still I am not getting the simple circle I have drawn.

guess I need to figure out the x y thing, looking at my manual now.

511graphix

I got this off web site random thing...

this driver is Ver. 2.10 The driver on the roland web site as of 6-23-00, is ver. 2.30. 2.30 has a problem, it will not plot a smooth curve, 2.1 will. also with this driver, on some systems, requires a driver emulator file --- the HP 7550a printer
and it said that the emulator file can be found on you OS CD-rom for your cumputer or something

joostio

wow, some succes here!

I am now cutting basic shapes. I have my page orientation all figured out. I was in setup mode and switched a few things on the cutter. Now I am running it in mode 2, not sure why it is working now but it does. I also messed with the page sizing on the cutter. The help here has been invaluble, I have spent close to 15 hours this week to get the computer re booted and the printer hooked up and running.

I have tried to cut some text but that was not yet worked. Is text not a vector on corel x3?

so it looks like I have to work out a few bugs but I am geting close. I hope to pick up some vinyl locally for a few test cuts. THANKS EVERYONE, you to OLD PAINT!

Jackpine

Text is a vector in Corel. I had a PNC1000 and used a 9 pin serial connection and cut from Corel and or Signlab with no problem. Today I would connect parallel and use a cut program such as Signlab.

neato

To cut text you need to convert it to curves, no fill, hairline.

Looks like getting the cutter working is just the beginning for you. :)

joostio

this is definently the begining for me. I am looking forward to the challenge. I don't usually like things that are easy, I do my own house renos (doing kitchen drywal today), my metal fab/welding work on my 4x4, I do all my own mechanical work too (replaced the motor in my 4 runner 3 months ago), I am, a licensed RV gas fitter, have a pilots license and I ride trials motorcycle because it is the most difficult kind of ridding I could find. I also have a arts back ground, I silk screened shirts for buddies in high school, still have the screen too.

This site has been incredibly helpful so far with the search feature and smart site members. My assperations are to become a good hobby sign maker, maybe more. I don't have the experience most of you guys have, and I'm sure it will show in my work. I just hope to get somewhat good at it. Application has been difficult to learn too, reading tips on webpages only helps so much, without good critique it is hard to improve, but i will.

I have found the corel forum and have also found videos on youtube for corel instruction. are there some other resources out there I could benefit from? I redesigned the new logo for my fire department as my frist project on corel. it worked great but I haven't been able to post it here yet. so yes, lots to learn.

joostio

I picked up a bit of vinyl today to try it out. I thought my machine was cutting jittery, it was hard to tell without vinyyl and a blade. So today was my first test run. IT CUTS GREAT!! many thanks. Now I need to order some supplies. I found out how to make masking tape into transfer paper, but real supplies will be much better. (only using the masking tape because I have no supplies, did not expect to get this far) Glad I bought a Roland instead of one of those new cheapos.