• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FTP hosting...

GP

Afraid I have to set up an ftp site. Has anyone done this lately? Preferred hosting site?

Any insight appreciated.

GP

MrKoob

Who is your website hosted through? If you already have one, check your control panel settings. You probably already have FTP access and just need to setup a user account. Check your Bandwidth and Disk Storage Limits as you may need to bump it up if you're expecting mega files on a regular basis.

juan45215

The FTP sites that I have used are very cumbersome for the sender. Also there is no notification when you receive a file.

You can set a Yousendit.com account for $10 per month. It's more customer friendly and you get notication when a file is received.

iSign

that doesn't have to be true....

can you teach us all?

I really don't understand this nearly as well as I would like to.

I have a free shareware FTP program I've been using for years, and I use it to upload files to the server that hosts my domain (godaddy), and that way I can put a sign proof in the index folder, and just add the file name to my domain URL, which brings the image up online.

This has been handy with clients who have security setting such that my email attachments get stripped out of emails, and I just send them a link the the url that brings up their proof...

...but for receiving files, I don't want to give out access to my website files, and even if I set up a second folder... most people don't have their own ftp program, and for the few that do who I've tried to help use theirs to get a file to me... it was a real PITA!

Also, I had a ftp savvy client ask me to DL a file from his ftp site, but he said I HAD to have "fetch", which I didn't want to go get, so we had to look for another solution.

I'd really like to have a user friendly, built-in feature in the new and improved website I hope to get around to this year.

If you can teach us a little about what you are offering, that would be great!

dclet

It would consist of basic html form (scripted with php) or flash for a front end - the user would be directed to an upload page - either from your web site ( link ) or through an email from you ( safer option ) Once there the user will be able to browse his PC, choose a file and "click" to upload. Limits could be established as far as file size and type.

It could also be set up to notify you (via email) that a file has been uploaded, and possibly download this directly from that email or loggin' in via your favorite ftp app ( cuteftp, filezilla, flashfxp etc. )

I don't want to give out access to my website files,

no access other then a specified folder...
~

Any questions please feel free...

Last edited:

iSign

cool,
today's a busy day... but if you can email me your email, I just may inquire further at some point. Thanks!

signsATislandsignDOTcom

Techman

why not just set up a FTP server right on your own machine?
Too easy?? No need to upload to another site..

Checkers

I use Internet Explorer (drag and drop) and Firefox (via plug-in) for my FTP programs.
Don't ask me how to set up a password protected directory on a FTP site though.

Checkers