• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FTP - How to?

Colin

Until now now I've never needed to do the FTP thing, but I need to now.

How do I go about getting that set up?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin what are you setting it up for?
Customer files to you or you sending someone else a file?
Its not that hard but a nice easy way that (free up to 50 meg files) are these guys:
https://www.yousendit.com/
Most of the design files I get come through them.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I need to get a customer's 200mb file.

I've just tried Filezilla, but can't get it to work, it's SO unintuitive.

Colin

The client doesn't use that, I asked. When he asked me if I can get the file through FTP, I said "yes", thinking that this would be a simple thing.

Gah.

mikey-Oh

So they're hosting the file?
Have you tried typing the address into your browser?

Last edited:

p3

Setting up an FTP server is extremely easy. You can set up the different log ins and all that and the different types of access they have. Tell me what version of windows your using and you can make it pretty easy. Also googling it as well. I have an FTP server, that I have remote computers using as a mapped network drive so I can get to everything, then customers can upload to a portion of the drive as well. Makes it really handy.

p3

Also, if you are using Firefox, you can get FireFTP which is a plug in, that makes it easy to transfer files to and from the server.

Colin

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

See the first screen-shot here? Well I don't see that when I open Filezilla, I see a window without the host/username/password etc.

grrrr

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I need to get a customer's 200mb file.

I've just tried Filezilla, but can't get it to work, it's SO unintuitive.

HUH?

Filezilla is easy as pie. If your client is hosting the file for you to download (i.e. they have given you an FTP address -- ftp.xxxxxx.com --, a username and a password), then Filezilla is indeed what you need and is actually very easy and straightforward.

If the client is asking if you have an FTP server they can upload to, then Filezilla is not what you need. This is another matter altogether.

rfulford

It should be simple to pull the file from the client's server. You do not even need filezilla to do it. You can simply use your browser.

Enter the clients full ftp address in your browser.

ftp://ftp.ftp.yourclientsftp.com
or.............
ftp://username:password@ftp.yourclientsftp.com

Remember to switch the protocol from http:// to ftp:// when you enter the address. Some sites may not prompt you for the user and pass, if so, use the second option inserting them in the url.

Tim Kingston

If you are using a "windows" computer, the easiest way I found is to go through "My computer" , just type in the full address ( with the ftp part ) and it should find it. Log in, if required. The log in screen should come up automatically. No other software is required and you can drag and drop files just like on your hard drive. Tim

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin if both of you are on windows XP and above you can do it right from there without an ftp client.

If you are game I can pm you right now.

yeah what Tim said....

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

mikey-Oh

So, this is not there?

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 108

Colin

If you are using a "windows" computer, the easiest way I found is to go through "My computer" , just type in the full address ( with the ftp part ) and it should find it. Log in, if required. The log in screen should come up automatically. No other software is required and you can drag and drop files just like on your hard drive. Tim

That seems to have worked! I saw the file, so do I simply Copy it and Paste it into a folder on my computer?