• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun little project for my garage!

divers2deep

Im a newbie, take it easy on me. This was a Chest Freezer i customized in my garage...

Printed on Roland - VS540
Oracal Cast and Cast Lam
Metallic ink was used for the X on top.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 24, 12 30 17 AM-1600.jpg
    Photo Jul 24, 12 30 17 AM-1600.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 94

divers2deep

Lets posts this the right side up!

PS - This is for my Jaeger !:rock-n-roll:

Attachments

• Photo Jul 24, 12 30 17 AM-1600.jpg
    Photo Jul 24, 12 30 17 AM-1600.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 87

Locals Find!

While using their artwork is illegal as hell, I don't see red bull coming after someone who apparently purchases enough of their product to need an entire extra cooler in their garage to facilitate their enjoyment of the product.

Hell, I think if they catch you. You might just get some free product and maybe even some work out the deal.

Flame

Haha you guys don't know Red Bull! I've done work with them, each and EVERY product, even when donated, needs to go through corporate and get signed off. You have to provide dimensions and quantities of items to be produced.

diversdude...I'd take these pics down PRONTO! While I could care less if you did it (it did turn out quite well btw), but please note Red Bull is giving Harley a run for their money for the MOST ANAL COPYRIGHT CHASER award. I personally know people flat out sued by them.

If it were a monster fridge, heck you could mass produce them and I doubt they'd care. But Red Bull....boy o boy.

Locals Find!

Personal use at home in his garage? Not so much.

Now if he used it at work or put it on craigslist or fleabay, that would be different.

Whether at home or on craigslist its still illegal. That part isn't in question.

Whether or not the company will bother suing him and slamming an apparently loyal customer against the wall for making a little homage to said product in is home is what is really in question. That will remain to be seen.

All that aside we all have to admit he did a good job, which I believe this was all about till I sidetracked it.

Scott Reynolds

There is that little thing supported by The Supreme Court described as "non-commercial personal fair use act ".

If something is reproduced for personal and private use at home, its really hard to prove an infringement claim. If he ever decided to get rid of the cooler or move it to a public place, legally he would have to pull the graphics off the cooler.

One problem with the Fair Use Act is thats its gray as hell and is decided by a judge most of the time.

If he made a Red Bull decal and put it on the back of his truck, thats 100% infringement. But to make a decal and put it inside his house, not so much... still gray as hell though....

Anyway, back to the cooler, I like it. :thumb:

Jack Knight1979

Looks great. I agree with Flame on this one. Red Bull is brutal with their brand. Everything is accounted for. They certainly won't go after him for this, but if he started selling them they would hunt him down.

Nice work.

I did something similar to my mini fridge. I went Coca-Cola.

skyhigh

Whether at home or on craigslist its still illegal. That part isn't in question.

Although you say it like you really know what your talking about, I will have to "bet" against you. I'd lean towards Scotts interpretation. In the home, and not displayed in a way to promote your business.....no copywrite infringement.

Brad Knight

Copyright infringment - nope - you're 100% okay there...

... Trademark infringment on the other hand, a completely different sort of animal and you don't have a leg to stand on. There is no such thing as 'fair use' in trademark disputes like there is with copyrights. Trademark can be protected from dilution and a lot of other factors that copyright holders don't have.

Also, a trademark can enter into the public domain and you can use it however you'd like if it's not actively protected - which is why companies like Harley, Disney and Red Bull protect it to vigorously.

OldPaint

using any present day product logos for this is ok IF ITS IN YOUR GARAGE, never to be sold or profited from.
what woulda been a lot neater, was to go back a find a beer that is no longer sold today.
iam from PA, and a couple names come to mind.
FORT PITT BEER
DUQUESNE BEER

Attachments

• DUQUESNE.jpg
    DUQUESNE.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 67

401Graphics

:banghead:i love what this topic has turned into... The guy just wanted to show off his damn freezer! That reminds me, i made a monster minifridge once.
I just wrote a long thing about people bitching about copyright crap. But i decided to not post it to keep from getting flamed on here (cuz some people come on here just for that reason)