Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun little project for my garage!

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by divers2deep, Jul 24, 2012.

1. divers2deep

divers2deep Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Fort Myers
    Im a newbie, take it easy on me. This was a Chest Freezer i customized in my garage...

Printed on Roland - VS540
    Oracal Cast and Cast Lam
    Metallic ink was used for the X on top.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. divers2deep

divers2deep Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Fort Myers
    Lets posts this the right side up!

PS - This is for my Jaeger !:rock-n-roll:

Attached Files:

3. dirttoo

dirttoo Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Very cool.

4. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    LOL looks awesome good energy booster for your garage lol

5. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Looks good

Copyright police in 3...2..1..

6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I'm lookin' forward to seeing the size of the cans in that thing!

JB

7. Fatboy

Fatboy Very Active Member

Love it ! Well done

8. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    While using their artwork is illegal as hell, I don't see red bull coming after someone who apparently purchases enough of their product to need an entire extra cooler in their garage to facilitate their enjoyment of the product.

Hell, I think if they catch you. You might just get some free product and maybe even some work out the deal.

9. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    getting a buzz just looking at it.

making want to look around and see what I can wrap

10. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Personal use at home in his garage? Not so much.

Now if he used it at work or put it on craigslist or fleabay, that would be different.

11. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Haha you guys don't know Red Bull! I've done work with them, each and EVERY product, even when donated, needs to go through corporate and get signed off. You have to provide dimensions and quantities of items to be produced.

diversdude...I'd take these pics down PRONTO! While I could care less if you did it (it did turn out quite well btw), but please note Red Bull is giving Harley a run for their money for the MOST ANAL COPYRIGHT CHASER award. I personally know people flat out sued by them.

If it were a monster fridge, heck you could mass produce them and I doubt they'd care. But Red Bull....boy o boy.

12. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Whether at home or on craigslist its still illegal. That part isn't in question.

Whether or not the company will bother suing him and slamming an apparently loyal customer against the wall for making a little homage to said product in is home is what is really in question. That will remain to be seen.

All that aside we all have to admit he did a good job, which I believe this was all about till I sidetracked it.

13. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Looks great! :thumb:

14. Scott Reynolds

Feb 5, 2005
    There is that little thing supported by The Supreme Court described as "non-commercial personal fair use act ".

If something is reproduced for personal and private use at home, its really hard to prove an infringement claim. If he ever decided to get rid of the cooler or move it to a public place, legally he would have to pull the graphics off the cooler.

One problem with the Fair Use Act is thats its gray as hell and is decided by a judge most of the time.

If he made a Red Bull decal and put it on the back of his truck, thats 100% infringement. But to make a decal and put it inside his house, not so much... still gray as hell though....

Anyway, back to the cooler, I like it. :thumb:

15. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    Looks great. I agree with Flame on this one. Red Bull is brutal with their brand. Everything is accounted for. They certainly won't go after him for this, but if he started selling them they would hunt him down.

Nice work.

I did something similar to my mini fridge. I went Coca-Cola.

16. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Although you say it like you really know what your talking about, I will have to "bet" against you. I'd lean towards Scotts interpretation. In the home, and not displayed in a way to promote your business.....no copywrite infringement.

17. Brad Knight

Brad Knight Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Copyright infringment - nope - you're 100% okay there...

... Trademark infringment on the other hand, a completely different sort of animal and you don't have a leg to stand on. There is no such thing as 'fair use' in trademark disputes like there is with copyrights. Trademark can be protected from dilution and a lot of other factors that copyright holders don't have.

Also, a trademark can enter into the public domain and you can use it however you'd like if it's not actively protected - which is why companies like Harley, Disney and Red Bull protect it to vigorously.

18. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

using any present day product logos for this is ok IF ITS IN YOUR GARAGE, never to be sold or profited from.
    what woulda been a lot neater, was to go back a find a beer that is no longer sold today.
    iam from PA, and a couple names come to mind.
    FORT PITT BEER
    DUQUESNE BEER

Attached Files:

19. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

:banghead:i love what this topic has turned into... The guy just wanted to show off his damn freezer! That reminds me, i made a monster minifridge once.
    I just wrote a long thing about people *****ing about copyright crap. But i decided to not post it to keep from getting flamed on here (cuz some people come on here just for that reason)

20. Scott Reynolds

Feb 5, 2005
    Yep, damnn good looking freezer. I liked the Coors Light hot water heater posted here a month or so ago too. :rock-n-roll: