• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gass heater

psbc2009

Need to heat a 15x28 attached garage on the back of my shop. It is insulated.
Any recommendations on a natural gas heating system?
Thanks.

player

I have been looking at the 80,000 BTU of the Big Maxx
http://www.mrheater.com/big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater.html

Pretty cheap, but the vent kit for going through the wall is 4X the price as venting through the roof.
They go on sale at TSC Store here in Canada once in a while.

attachment.php

Attachments

• f260420.jpg
    f260420.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 155

OldPaint

i got a REZNOR 30,000 BTU........got it used for under $100 will take my 24' X 30' x 16' tall shop from 40's to 70......in less then an hour.

Attachments

• pottery 022.jpg
    pottery 022.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 141

Ditchmiester

I have been looking at the 80,000 BTU of the Big Maxx
http://www.mrheater.com/big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater.html

Pretty cheap, but the vent kit for going through the wall is 4X the price as venting through the roof.
They go on sale at TSC Store here in Canada once in a while.

attachment.php

We just put one of these in our tool room that tends to be colder than the rest of the shop during winter. Don't know how well it works because this is the first week its actually going to be cold again at night so I should have some input back from our employees in a few days. I think we went with the 40K BTU Unit.

psbc2009

Heat

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the Reznor at other shops and the Maxx at Home Depot etc. I will probably go with one of these.
Even though natural gas is as cheap as old paint any idea which one of those would be more efficient?

And speaking of old paint - you mentioned going from the 40's to 70.
My shop is 30x140 with the back 50 feet being the furthest from the 2 furnaces it gets cool at times.
When closed off the garage area gets down right cold - 40 or less in winter.:omg:
I may move some equipment back there and wondered how temperature swings affect the things we use?
Printers, laminators, shear, etc.

rjssigns

I have these: http://www.spaceray.com/garage_infrared_heaters/index.php

They are quiet, require zero maintenance and are explosion proof.(completely sealed combustion)

Original one is almost 20 years old, and save for blowing the dust off of it after summer I never touch it.

All the working components are housed in a small box that can be unscrewed and brought to an HVAC shop.

Should be around $1500 installed.

player

We had the local furnace place come in and they refuse to install the Maxx heaters, and would charge $5,000 for a furnace and install to heat a 24' x 24' garage attached to the house.

I found the Maxx on sale at $650 and another installer ballpark it at $1,000 for the install and hookup.

Still waiting for moose hunting to end before anyone around here does any work. Ontario Canada...

psbc2009

Moose Hunting.
Oh crap glad you said that. Everyone here will be hunting those little whitetails soon and nothing will get done for about 2 weeks!
Better figure out what the heck I am doing.

OldPaint

MINUS 40 IN OHIO????? i dont thinks))))) iam originally from 9 MILES from STUBENVILLE, OHIO!!!! i spent 8 years in CARIBOU, MAINE......... you wana talk about cold. seen MINUS 75 BELOW!!!! now thats cold. seen snow on the 4TH OF JULY there.......they say northern main has 2 seasons winter and july)))) why do you think i wound up in FLORIDA??? had all the frost bite anyone could want)))

as for the reznor i have its a 30k. and for my shop with insulation and being in northern florida........it does a great job. to try and heat all the space you have will take closer to 3 OF THE ONE I HAVE!!!!!! 90-120k btu.

T

TonyC

Heater advise....

I am an old retired HVAC guy. Owned my own company for 25 years before getting into the sign biz. My best advise would be to have a local company advise to the BTU rating you need. Bigger is not better when it comes to heater size. You want to match your needs for heat loss as close as possible.

The fuel efficiency resembles that of your car. City driving (a short cycling heater) uses more fuel than driving on a highway (a heater which runs for longer periods).

player

The 80,000 BTU Maxx heater is actually 64,000 BTU because it is not 100 efficient.

TonyC what would you think would heat an insulated 24' x 24' x 15' ceiling attached house garage in Ontario Canada where we get some pretty cold weather? Can you take a stab at it? I was told to get the 80,000 Maxx because the 40,000 BTU unit would have trouble bringing the space back up to temperature if the door is opened in the winter.

T

TonyC

Specs?

Wall type, thickness, insulation?
Same for floor and ceiling/roof.

I used the S.W.A.G. (scientific wild @$$ guess) method. Guessing you have a -10F mean low temp and want a 70F inside temp, I would guess you will need 80,000 BTU based on average construction and a garage door.

All gas heater I have worked with were rated at input BTU. The output is calculated using the efficiency rating. The specs I found on the Big MAXX heater shows the BTU rating IS the output. You may want to verify that information.

player

Thank you TonyC. I am not sure of the R value but the garage is well insulated and has an insulated door with no windows in the door. The floor is concrete. One wall is the house.

I read somewhere that the Maxx 80,000 = 64,000 from Maxx I think...

But I think the 80,000 BTU unit will be the one. The other thing I have heard is they can be noisy.

T

TonyC

It will work..

With one wall being conditioned the smaller heater would probably do the job just fine.

psbc2009

Hey Tony C,
My garage area I need to heat is 15x30. 2 of the walls are conditioned, 1 wall with garage door, 1 wall with insulation, and 9 ft ceiling insulated.
Any recommendation on BTU rating.
Thanks!