• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gatorboard Trouble

bigpix

Has anyone noticed any change in Gatorboard over the last 6 months or so? Been in business and using Gatorboard for years. We have used it with digital inkjet on adhesive vinyl for about 5 or 6 years. In the last 6 months we have been plagued with prints peeling off the board. All are laminated before being applied to the board. We have been doing this same procedure, with the same materials for the last 3 years. Same everything including the guy who operates the laminator and mounter! We make A LOT of signs 4x4 ft. and larger. All of a sudden about 6 months ago we started to run into this peeling. It does seem to happen more in areas of heavy ink coverage, but other than that we are really scratching our heads trying to figure this. We have tried mixing up vinyl and laminate, bought a new laminator etc. We keep coming back to the Gatorboard. One other thing we have noticed is that in the past few months is that almost as soon as we open a case of Gator it starts warping. Again, over years of using this stuff we have not run into much warping. Anybody notice anything similar?

SeaWriter

I am sure your supplier won't know.......Call the manufacture, Alcan, directly and ask them.
Let’s face it, many manufactures are trying to maintain margins and there have been subtle changes to many products without telling the consumer or even the supply chain

OCsteve

We have been printing direct to gatorboard with our UV flatbed for about three years. There has always been an issue with warping and it seems to have to do with temp and humidity changes. We still like the materail but it seems lately that no one is stocking it.
Have you tried Ultraplus (United Industries)? That has an expanded PVC face and may be less porous than the gartorboard.

G-Artist

One local distributor near me will only sell paper coated foam board stock by the case because he says once he opens it the boards warp and he can't sell them.

Of course, this is in Florida where we have lots or humidity and warehouses are not air conditioned.

bigpix

Update: Switched to Ultra AND Alcan is visiting!

Hi Guys - followup:

Alcan Rep is coming tomorrow to visit an installed site with us to see the problem. Stuff we have had out in the field is still having this problem from time to time. We have since switched to Ultra boards with good results. We have been using Gatorboard for many years and there is no question it has changed since the change from Georgia Pacific to Alcan.

MikePro

with gatorboard, you're essentially applying decals to cardboard. Never will be good results over time, especially with exposure to moisture/humidity. (prolly explains your potato-chipping too...)
Now, I wrap the edges of everything I apply onto gatorboard, and also design into the project 3/4" (^3) framing that caps all the exposed edges and sealed with silicone.

Even had a 3M rep come in and explain that their warranty does not cover applications to gatorboard... I was a little po'd, but gatorboard is still pretty useful and inexpensive.

jmcnicoll

We had that problem a while back and called the manufacturer and was told to clean the gator with alcohol before mounting. Have had the problem since.

Jim

anotherdog

We have the same recent issue with warping.
A few problems with "de-mounting".
I'm getting tired enough of it to want to look at other solutions, trouble is gator is so easy to work with.