Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gatorfoam edge finishing tape

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Jesse_gvi, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jesse_gvi

Jesse_gvi Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I searched, but couldn't find a topic about this.

We've got a client that wants 1/2" Gatorfoam with finished edges. I've seen this done with a black tape, but what kind of taped is used that sticks to the foam edge? Anyone have a supplier? Utrecht has a bunch of black tapes, but I'm not getting much from the descriptions.

Tags:
  2. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i haven't seen a tape but i know there is a pvc edge cap you can put on there
    harbor sales, n. glantz & sons both sell it

3. LenR

LenR Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Maryland
    Would melamine edge banding work?

4. OhioSignShop

OhioSignShop Member

Jun 5, 2011
    I use Grimco Alumacorr trim caps. comes in 8' length and 5mil and 10 mil thickness. White, Black, Blue and red. Grimco 800-542-9941

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    I make my own cap out of .050 aluminum. Paint it whatever color I like and frame it up!

6. Jesse_gvi

Jesse_gvi Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The client wants the art all the way to the edge, nothing that looks like a frame.
    Something like this:
    http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/edgetapeinfo.php

I found and ordered some cloth tape used for hinging foam boards, so we'll see if it works as an edge tape too.

7. 10sacer

10sacer Active Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Concord, NC
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. psolbrig

psolbrig New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I've used gaffers tape - it looks pretty good. It comes in 1/2" widths, or could be applied and trimmed. I get it at my local theatre supply shop, but I think Grainger and Uline might have it too.