• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini alternatives.

petesign

I've got a shopping center who has a bunch of new tenants who cant afford lit channel letters, so they have allowed formed plastic letters from Gemini. Well I have done 3 jobs already, but they don't like how thin they are. There's just no depth. They asked about foam letters, and I have my reservations... (one, I don't know where to get them wholesale, and two, do they last and look decent?) One of my installers says doing the gemini with their standoff mounting is a bad idea, as they look bad, and that hornets, birds, etc will make nests in there.

So... here's the question, whats a good cheap alternative to formed plastic letters that will have some depth, and look decent? Anyone ever installed formed plastic letters with the pads and studs for extra depth, how did they look/hold up?

Many thanks in advance!
-Pete

Techman

I used gemini many times. If installed right the stand offs do not show at all. Birds do not get behind them either. They look great when completed. I had gemini letters go through hurricane Katrina with no problems. So the gauge of the material is irrelevant.

You start using alternative lettering and the entire center will look jack legged.

I also used foam letters. In most cases they lasted for years. One job was over 15 years. They had to be repainted but looked just fine. It is when the paint is applied too thin a layer or fades to the surface is when birds start pecking it. The birds are hard wired to eat and will peck anything that looks different from the surface(white or pink foam). They also peck white,,, you will not see baby bird droppings in a nest.

You can make foam letters with a jigsaw.

skyhigh

i assume they want something like 5 inch channel letters.....without the price

im with Bill.
The 2in gemini is thick enough

petesign

They are outside. Not sure if they need to be as thick as channel letters, but the formed plastic letters are only an inch deep, and really get lost in their big facade out there.

So yes, essentially, I guess they want the look without the cost, lol.

Mosh

How big? I use the Gemini with standoffs and never had a problem.
Sounds like they want fine fine on a bud-light budjet!

Marlene

They could do unlit channel letters

that would be the best way to go to make the letters thicker. you can mount the formed plastic on standoffs but I think it looks bad as it creates a shadow that makes them hard to read. you could go with HDU letters to get them somewhat thicker.