• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General software install issues...........

njsigns

Shovel, you need to show hidden files and folders - open C:\Documents and Settings\

then select tools>folder options:

local_2.jpg

Then select the view tab and check the radio button to show hidden files and folders:

local_3.jpg

Then you will see your "hidden files and folders" including local settings:

local_1.jpg

Hope this helps...

Gene

GK

I don't have a local setting folder Tech!

Open a folder and in the menu bar on top go to tools < folder options < click the view tab < and check off the radio button that says show hidden files and folders and apply it.

Then you will see that folder.

Last edited:

Techman

these guys are exactly right... You have that folder but cannot see it.. After you see it you will be open to a whole new world of goodies you never knew was there..

GK

emptied out the garbage.....wasn't much in there.
Still have issues.

Just curious, could you right click the installer executable and use the Run As option to run the installer as an Admin. I know your account probably is setup as the computers Admin but there are some programs out there that don't recognize your Admin rights even though you are logged in as one, but for some reason this trick works -- sometimes. Older versions of Acrobat Pro and Quickbooks used to do this all the time when XP first came out.

Techman

alright now,, lets start to narow it down to specifics..

Will any other program install?
Is your anti virus turned off?
Is your firewall turned off?
Are you sure the software package is a good package?
Have you rebooted?
Are you sure that temp file is gone. Because if it is not and it is running then you will get an access denied report.

Shovelhead

Will any other program install?
YES
Is your anti virus turned off?
YES
Is your firewall turned off?
YES
Are you sure the software package is a good package?
Deciphered that this MUST be the issue
Have you rebooted?
YES
Are you sure that temp file is gone?
YES

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.
Especially Techman, whom I look forward to responding to technical issues.
The software must be the problem. I've downloaded other unrelated software and have no install issues.
The ERROR 5 code was nothing I've seen before.

:thankyou:

Tony Teveris

Is this software something you have installed before ?

Is the software and old package ? maybe it can not handle long file names.

I hate the temp folder buried so GD deep in the system so what I do is create a "temp" folder in the root of the C: drive then go into system settings and edit the environment variables, sometimes there ate 2 temp variables, one "temp" the other "tmp".

Whose installer (Install Shield, etc) is the supplier using?