• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gentle but Firm - Please?

Justin

Good Morning,

I know it's pretty brutal to post logos, or designs here, but I think I can take it.. :popcorn: I was originally going to use Sticker N Sign as my company name, but after reading another thread the other day I was thinking I would like to have something more personal, or familiar.

I'm looking for something retro, modern, but simple. If you post back something please tell details of whats wrong, or suggestions instead of "it sucks, you suck, bleh bleh bleh.."

I was originally thinking of a bowtie so I made a bowtie, and was thinking of ways to use it..

U2bY9.jpg

I'm thinking inside the circle on the outer parts I may put a black half circle above DIXON, and below it to maybe fill it in some..(Swapped Stickers with Signs.) - Thanks Moze.

KmcTY.jpg

I've thought about bulging the text to fill some space too.
4p6n3.jpg

Edit: I just wanted to add. I'd ideally like suggestions where it can be cut in vinyl & printed. I think a sign with cut vinyl especially more vibrant colors looks amazing..

Last edited by a moderator:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Dixon is too small compared to the red triangles at the sides.
I like the more-retro font used on it, but the new font used at the bottom does not work well with it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I preface all of my posts in this section with "I'm not a designer"...so....I'm not a designer, but my two cents is to put "Signs" in the center and "Stickers" on the right ("Printing • Signs • Stickers"). Seems like it would be more balanced and centered.

Other than that, I'll leave it to the experts.

Justin

Dixon is too small compared to the red triangles at the sides.
I like the more-retro font used on it, but the new font used at the bottom does not work well with it.

Yeah.. I was trying to find a font that would look good with it, but... I want something more prominent, but I don't know what.. Any suggestions?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks a little "left heavy" to me....lose the parentheses on the phone number maybe?

740-743-6592

HaroldDesign

Maybe it's just me, but "sticker" is like a curse word. Label or decal sounds less whoreish. I kind of like the design, but it looks like a gas station logo.

Signcrafters beat me to it...

Circleville Signs

OK - constructive criticism...Let's see what I can do :smile:

1. Don't use the word "stickers". It cheapens an already commoditized industry. Use "decals" instead, if you must use something.

2. The red triangles are heavy in comparison to the rest of what you are doing. The font choice is perfectly fine. I even like the idea of the simple circle. However, that idea gets blown away by the "bow tie" effect you are trying to use.

3. The fish-eyed "DIXON" in the bottom idea - no. Just....No.

Here is an idea that simplifies what you have done. The font is Liberator.

Attachments

• Dixon_Demo.jpg
    Dixon_Demo.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 125

Mosh

Stickers are paper with adhesive on the back.....Decals are the vinyl things your plotter cuts out....Race car guys!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Kinda looks like an advertisement for an old radar or microwave frequency band.

• The words are entirely too hard to read.
  • The fonts have been manipulated beyond legibility.
  • Modern- retro ?? That's something.
  • Wasted space.

Gentle.... but firm.

Ya need to think this out a little more. :Sleeping:

Justin

OK - constructive criticism...Let's see what I can do :smile:

1. Don't use the word "stickers". It cheapens an already commoditized industry. Use "decals" instead, if you must use something.

2. The red triangles are heavy in comparison to the rest of what you are doing. The font choice is perfectly fine. I even like the idea of the simple circle. However, that idea gets blown away by the "bow tie" effect you are trying to use.

3. The fish-eyed "DIXON" in the bottom idea - no. Just....No.

Here is an idea that simplifies what you have done. The font is Liberator.

I actually like what you did here for me. Thanks alot!

The only thing I really don't like is the S because I don't really know what it pertains to.. I know probably signs, but I wonder if anyone else would get that..

I wonder whether just a D in the middle would be better without the S. I'ma try it..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 121

Fatboy

I actually like what you did here for me. Thanks alot!

The only thing I really don't like is the S because I don't really know what it pertains to.. I know probably signs, but I wonder if anyone else would get that..

I wonder whether just a D in the middle would be better without the S. I'ma try it..

Looks like a stop sign to me.

artbot

it's super terrible. it looks "old south" dixon, as in mason-dixon line, with a design that shares design traits with the confederate flag. it reads "white only" to me.

Attachments

• scross.gif
    scross.gif
    5 KB · Views: 100

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about a stop sign, but it's really hard to tell at a glance or even a long stare, that you're a sign shop at all.

You have a large red circle, with a 'D' in it and then your name 'Dixon' legible...... and then why anyone might want to use you is totally lost.

It's one thing to have people remember your name, but they need to at least know why they want to remember your name. It's called association. At least give the word 'SIGNS' a chance along with your name... size-wise.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Who are you trying to attract?

The logo is retro, but in the "commercial designer" type of design. Back then, it was quickie design, simple, legible, generic. I have some attraction to that type of design for it's super simplicity.

There are a lot of graphic designers logos who use this type of aesthetic and it works well. (http://www.thedecoderring.com/ http://aestheticapparatus.com/ http://planetpropaganda.com/ ) But you have to have all your marketing and collateral images work with that aesthetic. Your first logo does work, but the type does not match the era of retro you are trying to match. It's too modern. My concern is, what you slap that logo on, may not work with the images. The marketing materials need to enhance your branding.

The other idea is a dumb down logo, and a maxed out one... that way you have more options when using your logo. What I show below is retro, but you can beef up the logo with many looks. I'm not advocating tricks and effect to make a logo work, use them to help you attract a wider audience with different marketing materials.

Attachments

• dixon.jpg
    dixon.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 104