• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber edge 1 question

yamaha581

We just picked up a gerber edge 1 that we will be using instead of the summa we have. Since it does not have a usb connection on either the printer or the cutter would we be able to use this on a windows 8 laptop with the latest flexi rip? I understand we would need to get a usb to lpt1 I believe is what that is. We did get the gerber software for it as well I just would rather have it all on one computer if possible.

Thanks!

Jburns

I would recommend the USB to LPT1 cable that gerber sells. I used a generic USB to LPT1 cable on my Edge 2 and it was hit and miss. - I would sometimes see a Data Communication error.

yamaha581

I just got off the phone with gerber and they said their usb adapter cables only work with the omega software and will not work with Flexi. Does anyone know if this is true?

I just got off the phone with gerber and they said their usb adapter cables only work with the omega software and will not work with Flexi. Does anyone know if this is true?

I remember seeing on the forums somewhere about a guy who had taken gerber wires apart. He said that they used more wires in their connectors than normal. So possible that it might not be compatible. Maybe you would have luck with a standard cable then. If you have the machine the cables would be the cheapest thing to try and see if you can use the printer.

TomK

I have the official Gerber parallel to usb cable, and it works great with Omega. However, on the SAME PC I have Flexi 12 running and Flexi cannot see the Edge, and Flexi support hasn't been able to figure it out.

No idea if it is the cable or something else, I asked Gerber support, and they told me to talk to Flexi it isn't their problem, and yes, they were that rude about it.

yamaha581

I just looked and it looks like the omega software we got is just the version 2.51 so it is pretty old. I thought I had read that you need to have atleast version 4 to be able to run the usb adapter cables. Is that correct? I'm trying not to have to pay to upgrade that when I already have flexi. I know the guy we got it off of was using flexi but he had windows 98 so that may make a difference.

Marlene

does the old Gerber 1 run off anything but a parallel? not sure if 2.51 will run it from a USB as that is pretty old software. if you have Flexi, can you call them and ask them if their software can run it with a USB?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you're running from a desktop computer, just buy an LPT/Serial Comm card and run from the LPT port it will provide.

Last edited:

yamaha581

This gerber is only with a parallel connection. I am not wanting to use the Omega software if I do not have to though. I will give Flexi a call and see if that will work, I did not think of that.

I am using my laptop right now which has the flexi on it. If I have to though I can always just get a desktop computer and put flexi on that to run all the printers.

Thanks!

TomK

If you're running from a desktop computer, just buy an LPT/Serial Comm card and run from the LPT post it will provide.

Fred, I'll give this a shot and see if I can put a std parallel card in the computer.

Does this then just use a standard centronics parallel cable do you know, or do I need a special cable from Gerber again like the USB one I have today?

Thanks,
Tom

Jburns

This gerber is only with a parallel connection. I am not wanting to use the Omega software if I do not have to though. I will give Flexi a call and see if that will work, I did not think of that.

I am using my laptop right now which has the flexi on it. If I have to though I can always just get a desktop computer and put flexi on that to run all the printers.

Thanks!

I run an Edge 2 with parallel cable and Flexi - it works fine. On a laptop, with a docing station that has a a parralel port.

wgsengraving

What other company marketed a thermal printer around the same time that the first Edge came out? I am thinking it was Fargo or Farco.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, I'll give this a shot and see if I can put a std parallel card in the computer.

Does this then just use a standard centronics parallel cable do you know, or do I need a special cable from Gerber again like the USB one I have today?

Thanks,
Tom

I've always used the 25' one that came with my Edge so I can't say for sure ... but I think and standard parallel cable will work, but the shorter the better to avoid dropping data.

yamaha581

Is there anywhere to go to get a color pallet for the gerber ribbons? I know with the summa we would just go on their website and download the swatches to use when printing. I was looking around but didn't see anything so far for the gerber ribbon colors.

Thanks!

Jburns

The swatch table should be in your Flexi software- you can load the gerber colors along with metallics as a separate table.

From Flexi Manual I have:

To open the Open dialog, do one of the following:
• From the View menu, select Color, then Open Table.
• Right-click on the default swatch table (or any other open
swatch table) and select Open Table.
2 Browse to the Swatch/Library subfolder of the software
installation folder.
3 Select the manufacturer of the foil type, such as Gerber
Scientific Products, and click Open.
4 Select the swatch library for the desired type of foil and click
Open.

yamaha581

Thank you! Is there a way to get them in Illustrator? That is what I use to do all of my design work and I was not sure if it was easier just to get it all in ai and then have it all ready to send over to flexi. I did get them opened up in Flexi though.

yamaha581

I have pretty much everything figured out as far as setting it all up to print now I am just having one problem with printing from Flexi. I have done some small prints and had no problems with them. It was just using black and a green color. I am now trying to do a bigger print test and I have flexi set up like it says for only spot colors but when I send it to the printer it keeps saying process yellow. I had sent it a few times just seeing what it does but it then asks for magenta so I am guessing that I a doing something wrong when setting it up before I hit print. Would anyone know what we need to do to fix this?