• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber edge process

imagesigns

when i scan a picture to print on vinyl its real grainey looking anybody with the edge know the best resolution or settings to use?

petepaz

what type of file are you importing into your edge
if it is a jpg or tiff or bitmap
you can goto your tool bar and by the fill and stroke there is an option called image fill
click on that and it has options to increase the clearity of your image

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
when i scan a picture to print on vinyl its real grainey looking anybody with the edge know the best resolution or settings to use?

Your scan should be at a minimum pixel dimension to provide a 100 ppi resolution at the full size needed for printing. If it isn't a very large size then go to 300 ppi. You will also do well to select the STC Photo halftone and set the LPI to 70.7.

So for example, if you are printing a scan that measures 24 inches in either dimension, then your minimum size would be 100 x 24 = 2400 ppi.

If you are only talking about the screen image, go to image settings and set the thumbnail to 24 bit. This makes it look better but has no effect on the print quality.

petepaz

fred not sure if we are talking about the same feature (sounds like it though)
and i know you have alot more experience with the edge than me
but if i import an image into composer and i turn up those image settings i do get a better quality print not just a better view on the screen

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
fred not sure if we are talking about the same feature (sounds like it though)
and i know you have alot more experience with the edge than me
but if i import an image into composer and i turn up those image settings i do get a better quality print not just a better view on the screen

I think we are talking about the same thing and I have been told by no less than Tony T, who writes the Omega software, that GSPPlot uses the actual image file and that the quality of the image shown on the screen in Composer has absolutely nothing to do with what gets ripped to the Edge.

petepaz

sorry for doubting you guru
i apologize
i tried it and printed both files at the same time not really a noticeable difference
but i have done this before and thought i was getting a better image
guess i need my eyes checked

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
sorry for douching you guru
i apologize
i tried it and printed both files at the same time not really a noticeable difference
but i have done this before and thought i was getting a better image
guess i need my eyes checked

Let's hope that wasn't the only work your Edge has done today. :Cool 2:

petepaz

i also have to hope my spelling gets better(or maybe my typing skills)

douching....? how about doubting

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i also have to hope my spelling gets better(or maybe my typing skills)

douching....? how about doubting

I took it in stride and chalked it up to the possibility that you were just well in touch with your feminine side. :ROFLMAO:

Tony Teveris

Yes, the "thumbnail" drawn on the screen is NOT the same image printed on the Edge unless it's set to High Res. The reason for the different resolutions on the screen was draw / color correction time. With Omega 3.0 we have taken this out but just may have to put it back for some users are designing with a number of very LARGE images and were back to slowness.

Not trying to hijack here.. but I usually import pictures that were shot with a 5 or 8mp camera. What settings or changes would a person do then? If i recall when you import there is no feature to change the image.. I know , I know, I'm dumb! :doh: Help me out here ..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not trying to hijack here.. but I usually import pictures that were shot with a 5 or 8mp camera. What settings or changes would a person do then? If i recall when you import there is no feature to change the image.. I know , I know, I'm dumb! :doh: Help me out here ..

There are a few things under your control which will have dramatic effects on your printed image:

1. You select the image profile/color workspace

2. You select the halftone you will use when you rip the image as well as the LPI if available

3. You select the print profile (or allow automatic selection) when you output the image from GSP Plot ... Hint: Try turning off automatic color management and select the profile named Gerber Edge II 300 DPI CMYK for a major improvement in most cases.

So I don't have to worry about all those complex calculations? I'm real dumb when it comes to math.. :) i did print a picture of my grandson when I got my edge2 and was pretty pleased at the print. I made the changes in Gsp Plot etc. looked good to me! Thanks Fred..