• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber GS15 PLUS cutting problem?

NukeProof

I’ve been experiencing problems when I send jobs to my Gerber GS15PLUS. For example, I’ll set up a job using Omega 2.5 to cut 100 1 x 3” stickers with everything lining up perfect from the start. It will start to cut around each logo like it should then about half way through the job it drops down about a ½ inch and starts cutting through the logo. It’s done this a couple times in the past but I just thought it was something I did wrong. Lately, it’s been doing it more and more and I can’t figure out why. Anyone ever have this problem?? Is it something I’m doing wrong?? I’ve been using this plotter for awhile without any problems, but lately it’s been acting weird. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance
Joey

Jillbeans

This is just a lucky guess as I am still on a Gerber 4E.
But could it be a memory issue?
Sometimes when I send out a big job I have troubles.
I would suggest running half the job at a time, since you said the problems come up in the middle.
I'm probably way off base.
Another thing is to blow out the plotter with compressed air.
Sometimes that helps me.
Love.....Jill

NukeProof

Thanks for the response Jill.

After I posted this thread I tried to cut only 14 of the 105 stickers (2 rows of 7) This time it cut around the first logo fine. When it gets to the second logo it drops down to the first logo, cuts through that and starts making its way back up cutting about a 1/2 inch below that original cut line. Maybe take a sledge hammer to it? :biggrin:

thewoodage

We've got a GS15plus that has been around a LONG time - doesn't do the exact same thing as you're saying (1/2" and all) but once a week or so it will just decide to move cutting in the middle of a large long run and then bunk half the job - just gettin' old i guess

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you're not doing so, I would recommend setting the vertical repeats only in Composer and the horizontal repeats in GSPPlot. It just works better that way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The memory buffer might be giving you a problem. Also, possibly you’re trying to send too much information. Ours never did that from Gerber programs, but it did the exact same thing through other software that couldn’t send enough information to the spooler.

Checkers

Gawd, this is making me stretch the wrinkles outta my brain :)
I think Fred and Gino are both right. Wasn't or isn't there a cut size limit with the older goober plotters? I recall that an old sprint I worked with would only cut blocks of information somewhere around 44" at a time. After it cut that area, it would have to finish and trim the panel and go onto the next "block".

Checkers

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The memory buffer might be giving you a problem. Also, possibly you’re trying to send too much information. Ours never did that from Gerber programs, but it did the exact same thing through other software that couldn’t send enough information to the spooler.

I send jobs of 20' to 30' in length all the time with no such problems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So do I. In fact, it’s nothing to send 150’ at a time to the 15” and the 30” at the same time for us. Checkers actually saw five full rolls of pure lettering… cut weeded and then applied to substrates.

I just meant that sometimes when one uses other software, the drivers don’t translate the information properly and go haywire after so many feet. When we send from ‘Flexi’ we had [by mistake] the 240” default tagged and although it cut past 20 feet, it did it with crazy jaggies.

It was just a thought. We aren’t using our Graphics Advantage anymore, but sometimes experience stupid things that don’t seem to have a reason. In fact we run into those stupid things quite often….. all over the shop. LOL

NukeProof

This problem is defiantly an odd one. Today I tried what Fred and a couple others suggested witch was to set the repeats in composer. I also created a new file to see if maybe the old one was corrupted. I had an order for 300 of the same decals. I was setting them up to print and cut 100 at a time. I successfully print and cut 200, however the last 100 started out good then this problem started to occur again. I don’t understand why it will let me cut 200 without a problem and then screw up the last 100 when I’m using the same exact file. As the day went on I was able to do other decals without a problem and some with this problem. From what I’m seeing it’s doing it when it wants to do it. I’m lost on this one..

Any other help, tips or advice would be much appreciated! :thankyou: :signs101:

Replicator

Take the cover off the plotter clean the hell out of the gear drive wheels,
clean the rods that the cutter rides on with a little alcohol and then rub a tiny
amount of 3in1 oil on them and make sure every part of the plotter is clean . . .

Should be cleaned every week to keep it cutting acurately !

Fixed my problems !

Jillbeans

My 4B loves a good alcohol rubdown and a blow job.
I did notice that it spools back upon itself every 4' or so since I don't have the LMK hooked up anymore.
(I took it off and then forgot what to do with it)
It also sometimes won't cut the second panel of a stacked run.
Love....Jill