• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting car wax off?

Jackflush

Gorgor
What product are we using to get all the car wax off? I want to be sure it is gone before I apply the vinyl. I suppose not destroying the clear coat would be another plus.

Jackflush

Gorgor
Thanks. I found Naphtha in the forum, but wanted to sure of the results. Dish soap, I have that.! LOL Proform. I will check that out . I called auto paint store and they have a quart of accrilliclean for 15 bucks a quart. I'll get it today, but will call around for prices on the suggestions I have gotten here. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

Sign Works

PPG DX-330 Wax & Grease Remover (prep solvent), available at auto paint supply stores. You mean everyone in the sign industry dosen't properly prepare a vehicle's surface prior to decal application?

Had a buddy that owned a Fast Signs store and called me one day asking, "Gene I just don't understand, we clean vehicles really good with 70% alcohol but constantly have vinyl falling off":doh:

Personally I use the prep solvent, then Rapid Prep, then Rapid Tac, then 91% alcohol = squeaky clean.

GB2

Old Member
The alcohol final rinse you are using will leave a film, you should stop after the Rapid Tac.

Jackflush

Gorgor
I went and picked up the acryili-clean 330 and smelled it. Whew! Smells like clear coat destroying enzymes for sure. Parts guy said it will destroy lacquer based paints, but on polyurethane its fine. I went ahead and used dawn dish soap. The water in the waxed areas are beeding up, and the areas i scrubbed the water is sheeting over it. I suppose the surface will be ready after i hit it with rapid tack? Anything i've missed?

B Snyder

You got me. Maybe your client's car has those "space age polymers" on it. LOL
I've always used dish soap to remove wax on my own cars. Even Zaino, maker of arguably the best car detailing products, recommends it.

speedmedia

Hang on so now we aren't supposed to use alcohol? I have been told sinse day 1 to use alcohol or denatured alcohol. Haven't had anything fall off over here...

Thanks,
kurt

TheSellOut

Has anyone heard of waxing a vehicle before applying graphics? I missed the AC Sign Show this year but my friend went and said that in one of the seminars, the instructor encouraged waxing before applying. Saying that it's easier to remove when the time comes!

I always prep vehicles by removing wax but I am getting ready to decorate my new shop truck and am thinking of trying this!

G-Artist

Has anyone heard of waxing a vehicle before applying graphics? I missed the AC Sign Show this year but my friend went and said that in one of the seminars, the instructor encouraged waxing before applying. Saying that it's easier to remove when the time comes!

I always prep vehicles by removing wax but I am getting ready to decorate my new shop truck and am thinking of trying this!

DON'T!!!

You only do that for applying magnet material. In fact, give the mag backside some wax as well.

We used either Prep Sol or Ditzo for years with good results. In fact, before I letter a painted RE blank, I wipe the blank with Ditzo first, just to be safe.