• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting fleet and commercial accounts

jman

Hey guys,

Things are deathly slow this year and I really want to expand and get some fleet and commercial accounts and was wondering what are the steps to get into this space? You know fleet truck lettering, window splash graphics, high volume yard signs, pylon sign face replacement in plazas and shopping centers etc.

I know you can never get away from the smaller customers wanting one or two trucks lettered every now and then but I'm doing this to get out there and start to make some better money ya know? I really want that consistent money flow.

Any suggestions on how to get in front of the big whigs would be appreciated. Do I go in to these places and ask for who's in charge of their marketing or what?

Thanks in advance!

FatCat

Anyone around town that can letter or wrap a vehicle will have their eye out for companies that have a large fleet of vehicles which equates to work. So, don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere by making cold calls or asking for the Marketing Director or Fleet manager. To be blunt - you're going after the obvious...and you won't be the first. If you do get a foot in the door, you may be shocked at what some of the specialized shops are charging for fleet work. We recently bid on 5 semi trailers and lost because I was nearly $1000.00 higher per trailer than 2 other shops!!! Yes, PER TRAILER!!! And I was bidding them aggressively...way less than box trucks and flat wall work, and yes, my competitors were using as good/same materials so it wasn't because of that. The only thing I can figure is that my competitors have more installers than I do, and base their pricing on paying them $15-$20/hr vs charging what the work is worth.

So if you think you're going to charge normal rates for fleet work, you'll be sadly disappointed. The margins on big work like that (at least around here) have been cut to the bone and its not even worth our while to try to compete. I've come to the realization we'll make more money selling to smaller guys who only do 1-10 vehicles per year...

Just my .02¢

visual800

I gotta agree with fatcat on the fleet vehicles. Worthless accounts to go after. I would go after property management companies to do their lights and or signage on the properties they manage.

as far as getting to the boss or the marketing person you must first get by "Trixie" the low paid gatekeeper that answers the phone. Call up the business and ask for their marketing person or the owner, if "Trixie" wants to get snippy try this approach.

Call them up and tell them "Hey this is Brad from Signs Explosion, we are out here at the Pendleton Shopping Center and need to speak with someone about this pylon signage out here".......it makes it sound like youre already out there working on something and she will get you to the right person, and YES this does work in a lot of cases

I know when times are tough you will do whatever you have to do to get income coming in. Cold calling can be brutal or be a lifesaver. 8 rejects wins you 1 or 2 temp clients. Yes I said temporary, nothing is permanent these days

good luck

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Most of the really large fleet work is printed by large national printing companies like Lowen and Vomela (parent company of about a dozen print companies). Typically they hire PDAA, 3M, or Lowen certified installers.

For all others, a personal connections and/or persistence is the key. You need to go in with the attitude that they are happy with their current installer. Your just here in case their current installers aren't available or the relationship changes. Follow up every 3 to 6 months.

Make sure you can service them before you try and win them over. Sysco used to get 20% of their fleet new each year which meant in the neighborhood of 15 tractors and 25 trailers each year. They would give us warning, but they wanted the tractors in service quickly and the trailers in a week and a half or so. Removing the old decommissioned tractors and trailers was secondary.

rjssigns

True story about fleet work. Guy rolls up to the truck shop where a good friend works. Said he wants his 40' beer trailer trailer wrapped and needs a bid. He sees the bid and freaks out at the price. Not the installation part of the bid. He can't believe the price for the wrap itself.
He said: "I'll keep getting them from Budweiser and have you install them. Budweiser only charges me 500 bucks for a complete wrap".:omg:

This is in northern WI. YMMV

ExecuPrintGS

We do a lot of work through local car dealerships. Get to know the commercial sales manager, they are the ones you want to know.
Right now the dealer makes X% of anything they send our way. We do wholesale for them and they mark it up and roll it into leases. Its good work and win win for everyone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do a lot of work through local car dealerships. Get to know the commercial sales manager, they are the ones you want to know.
Right now the dealer makes X% of anything they send our way. We do wholesale for them and they mark it up and roll it into leases. Its good work and win win for everyone.

Out of curiosity...... how is this not considered a kick-back ??

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Gino,

Its just like pinstripes, rhino lining, window tinting and all the other dealer add-ons. The only difference is that the commercial side doesn't beat you up on pricing quite as bad and then add an exorbitant markup.

The process and fees aren't really any different than the brokers in our industry or you selling t-shirts and business cards. Every transaction from the manufacture to the consumer gets stepped on.

jman

Good advice everyone, I went out and tried to drop my information off to the commercial sales managers today and not to be rude they seemed cocky and arrogant but I just smiled and carried on. One guy said "usually customers have their own guys that do their fleet graphics". I tried to pitch you can offer the customers a one stop shop here and roll the advertising right into their leases and it would be a great upsell for them and everyone wins.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention some commercial dealers offer rebates on graphics packages. I know at one time Ford used to offer their commercial customers $500 rebate for the graphics.