• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting graphics files in DXF that work

CES020

I recently took a job drawn in Illustrator to a machine shop to have some work done. I exported the file to a DXF. I think I saved it to ACAD friendly 2004 or so. They opened it and said it was a real mess and they couldn't use it, gave me the old "you need to create this in a CAD package" story.

I opened it in Corel as a DXF and it opened fine. I opened it in a CAD package and it opened just fine. I really need to get these items cut, so I need to figure out what works for them so I can get them what they need, but I can't see any issues with what I have.

I thought I'd ask here as I'm sure someone is successfully doing this. What steps do I need to take or what format do I need to save in to make this work? I saved it in DWG and DXF and they didn't have luck with either.

Thanks!

rjssigns

I have an ongoing issue with a client supplied file. Steel tags are going to be cut on a laser. Sub said the file was "spliny". I thought WTF it looks great. Until I opened it in Ai and opened the layers. Nothing but miles of splines. Pure crap.
A good friend is a CAD/Solidworks/Mastercam genius. He took a look and told me to redraw it.
So I redid the file in Ai. Went from hundreds and hundreds of splines to 6 vector components. I have a friend in a prototype lab that is going to burn a laser comp for me. If the comp works then I can place the order at my sub.

J Hill Designs

my best DXF's come out of omega using the (GSP) AutoCAD Drawing interchange dxf format (2 dxf formats are listed) and in advanced options, set bezier curve conversion to minimum arcs

Techman

DFX files are exported out of software such as AI or Corel using the old AUTOCAD standards. The problem is.. Autocad dfx do not export curved lines as arcs. It exports as line segments. That us useless for running cnc machinery

jgaskin

I have limited experience with exporting DXF files. However, when I've taken my files to my local machine shop for water jetting, he opened them and was surprised at how clean they were. On a fairly complex file, I think we only had to massage two points to get it ready to cut. The point to all this is that I've created my cut file and done my DXF export both from Flexi. For someone who is not the fastest gun in the east with Illustrator, I find myself doing much of my work within Flexi because I find it to be much quicker for creating cut lines and such.