• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting ready to upgrade! :)

kylebrk

Well, the last two years have been awesome. We have worked our sp-540i to death. Our volume is up and (thank the Lord) show no signs of stopping.

I wanted to reach out to my friends of s101. I've appreciated your advice before. I need to know what you think about Roland's XC-540. I've heard so many good things about it, have the financing lined up, and the guys excited. Just want a final sign off from the s101 family.

What do you think. Is there something I should take in to consideration? (Other than whether I should upgrade)

LarryB

I have had my XC-540 for 4+ years now and love it. I run it 8-10 hours/day with no problems. I have had to replace heads and other consumable items but nothing to worry about. Definite workhorse and without a doubt the best piece of equipment I have in my shop.

I would definitely recommend it.

petesign

If you have the room, you might consider getting a separate cutter so you can print and cut at the same time.

HulkSmash

If you have the room, you might consider getting a separate cutter so you can print and cut at the same time.

this is good advice. you can't cut, and print at the same time, and typically you have to print it, take it off, laminate it, and then load it back into the printer.

stops all production... get a separate cutter.

good luck

weareryan

Encad

We started with a Kodak Encad that required coated media - so sad. Then we picked up a SP-540. Wow, this thing has been a beast. You're right about trying to work it to death.

Managed to kill a cable or two, some part of the pump, but no head replacements. Every time it screws up it's been our fault.

Gene@mpls

I am in a similar situation with a VP-540. I also have Summa T750s but
it is a pain to set up and print reg marks that the Summas will read.
I was also looking at XC540 as the answer- but all the hubbub about the
latex printers has convinced me to wait at least a year and instead buy
a Roland GX-500 which should up my print production 10-15% I believe.
The 500 will only cut 47.x but I don't have physical room for the GX-640.

Summa

Summa registration marks are easy to set up

Gene - It was good talking with you yesterday to help streamline your workflow via Flexi Pro. I wanted to share with everyone how easy it is to use a Summa vinyl cutter with any printing software including VersaWorks. Summa's include a handy utility called Winplot that is a plug-in for Corel Draw & Adobe Illustrator (free download available www.summausa.com). Simply use Winplot to "Set Markers" and it will apply registration marks to your design for printing through VersaWorks or any other RIP software. Registration marks can also be easily assigned using other programs including Onyx, Wasatch, Flexi and Sign Lab to name a few.

kylebrk

Gene - It was good talking with you yesterday to help streamline your workflow via Flexi Pro. I wanted to share with everyone how easy it is to use a Summa vinyl cutter with any printing software including VersaWorks. Summa's include a handy utility called Winplot that is a plug-in for Corel Draw & Adobe Illustrator (free download available www.summausa.com). Simply use Winplot to "Set Markers" and it will apply registration marks to your design for printing through VersaWorks or any other RIP software. Registration marks can also be easily assigned using other programs including Onyx, Wasatch, Flexi and Sign Lab to name a few.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!

You must do a "How To" post! Please!

idsignsil

We have an XC-540 and love it. We do not have the room to have a separate cutter, so this was the perfect machine. If you have the room, I agree with everyone else, get a separate cutter and increase your work flow.

kylebrk

We have an XC-540 and love it. We do not have the room to have a separate cutter, so this was the perfect machine. If you have the room, I agree with everyone else, get a separate cutter and increase your work flow.

Awesome. The more I hear about the XC-540 the more confident I get. I actually signed the papers this morning!

The finance guys came back and told me 0% down, 10% buy out, and $760/month for 48 months. I could barely contain myself.

petepaz

we have 3 rolands (vp540, xc540 and lej640) great machines. and we really don't have much issue with the print cut system (especially if you are supposed to wait for out gassing before you lam as everyone recommends) are you keeping the old sp 540? if so you should be able to cut your prints from the xc on the sp (doulble check with the roland dealer) we print on our lej640 and and cut on both our xc and vp units. as long as you are using versa works they should all be compatable just make sure all your settings are the same when you import the files.

HulkSmash

we have 3 rolands (vp540, xc540 and lej640) great machines. and we really don't have much issue with the print cut system (especially if you are supposed to wait for out gassing before you lam as everyone recommends) are you keeping the old sp 540? if so you should be able to cut your prints from the xc on the sp (doulble check with the roland dealer) we print on our lej640 and and cut on both our xc and vp units. as long as you are using versa works they should all be compatable just make sure all your settings are the same when you import the files.

yeah, if you have just 1 printer it's an issue. With 3? Not so much.

CS-SignSupply

FYI - new Roland Pricelists released and will be effective February 1...

NOW IS THE TIME TO SAVE IF YOU ARE 'GETTING READY TO UPGRADE' :)

The XC-540 will be going up $500

kylebrk

This is honestly the best idea I've heard as to why to keep the old printer.