• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Started at home

GraphixUnlimited

It sounds like yer heart is in the right place man but this is a TOUGH ASS industry to get involved in and given your lack of current knowledge about.. well ANYTHING, sign or garment based you need to really take a step back.

Some good advice has been given... if you are truly serious about this.. go in and work for free if need be at a established screen printer as to learn something trial and error in this biz.. aint gonna work!!!

look at courses even at your local colleges or other education centers... you need some sort of backing in a vector based program (illustrator, corel, etc..) and raster based ( photoshop, photo paint, etc..). I ve been at this myself some 15 years and im still learning all the time. Never become complacent.

Check the ego at the door and humble yourself cause this biz can and will kick yer ass if you aint careful!!!

Good luck on your endeavor. Chin up as we all start somewhere eh

CanuckSigns

Every screen printing shop i have been in has made my eyes water from the fumes, just another thing to think about before you bring those nasty chemicals into your home.

Kcinnick

Ok, no screen printing.

What is something good to start with.

I really like the exposure/etching/blasting in glassware, wood, etc.

I really didn't want to start with a printer/plotter/laminate.

I have a large workshop area I can use.

I just want to learn something here that could be a potential money maker.

I did do some vinyl installation, but it was before the current full car style wraps were popular. I have worked on cars, vending machines, car washes, glass fronts at retail shops etc. Most of the work I did involved building custom fiberglass pieces, consoles, speaker boxes etc, but when needed I would do the vinyl installs. That was during high school and college, but I know the work involved in installs.

I have designed banners, signs, shirts, flyers, ads, retail displays but they were subbed out to be produced. I really don't do that kind of stuff anymore though.

Techman

Not only do you have to learn to pull ink... You have to learn how to make a proper screen. That is an art in itself.

Then before you can make a proper screen you have to know how to make a proper separation.

Before that you must know how to develop the art work.

Then knowing how to price your work to make money.

And before all that you must know how to market yoru products or you will be just another come and go screen printer.

Billct2

We used to screen print in house, the screens went in the dumpster, the racks were cut up for scrap metal, the other assorted stuff was dumped or given away. The T shirt printer I sub to has mostly turned to embroidery, the flat/commercial screen printer I sub to is mostly doing high end circuit board work. These were two of the best and busiest places around here. They're both one man shops now. A of of the other places are completely gone. Seems like a worse business than signs. Anything that can be put in a box and shipped is available from way to many cheaper place nowadays.
Good luck.

Locals Find!

Ok, no screen printing.

What is something good to start with.

I really like the exposure/etching/blasting in glassware, wood, etc.

I really didn't want to start with a printer/plotter/laminate.

I have a large workshop area I can use.

I just want to learn something here that could be a potential money maker.

I did do some vinyl installation, but it was before the current full car style wraps were popular. I have worked on cars, vending machines, car washes, glass fronts at retail shops etc. Most of the work I did involved building custom fiberglass pieces, consoles, speaker boxes etc, but when needed I would do the vinyl installs. That was during high school and college, but I know the work involved in installs.

I have designed banners, signs, shirts, flyers, ads, retail displays but they were subbed out to be produced. I really don't do that kind of stuff anymore though.

I am probably going to get blasted for this.

However, you sound like you would make a good broker like myself. I sub 95% of my work out. We do some of the artwork in house sub out what is beyond our skill set, and basically just do sales & marketing.

Its an easier way to get started. You learn as you go. You will earn money and when your to the point where you have enough steady jobs to make a move to your own equipment you will also have the cash to do so.

Here is a few important rules to live by though that will make being a broker easier and make other shops willing to try and work with you.

#1 don't piss off your vendors, don't beat them up to the point they can't make a profit. They will stop working with you or go out of business themselves. Then your out of business.

#2 don't low ball the industry. Just because your overhead is lower doesn't mean your end product isn't as valuable.

#3 know as much about your product as the guy making it. You need to be just as knowledgeable if not more than the average shop on whatever product your selling. Otherwise you won't know if you're selling your client garbage and ruin your reputation.

#4 don't offer everything thats out there. Pick a core line of products and be an expert on them. Expand only as your customers needs require it.

signswi

You should probably do a full business plan including competitor research, projections, figure out your runway, etc. before you go buying equipment.

80% of new businesses fail in the first two years. Want to know why? People jump in without doing their homework and fail at some aspect they didn't know they should be worried about. We're jumping on you because you sound like one of those people from this post.

signswi

For example you say you "know" there's demand, but then base that demand knowledge only on the fact that you need it. But does anyone else? In sufficient quantities that you can be profitable? Don't fall victim to correlation fallacies.

artbot

make sure there are no fire breathing veteran sign makers within 50 miles of you. this is a competitive industry and your kung fu will not be good enough to survive. it would be no different if you just woke up and said "i want to be a shrimp boat captain!" or "...a pastry chef!" there is no "learn a complex trade for dummies" book way to get in to this business.

go work for a sign shop for free for at least three months. the labor you give away will save you tens of thousands in wasted capitol.

signguy 55

Getcha one of those home base screen printing machines that I see infomercials about when I'm flipping channels at 5 in the morning. Kind of like a glorified Cricut.

You can do it on the kitchen table, or in the bedroom. Funny how they don't show how you have to clean up the mess.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Getcha one of those home base screen printing machines that I see infomercials about when I'm flipping channels at 5 in the morning. Kind of like a glorified Cricut.

You can do it on the kitchen table, or in the bedroom. Funny how they don't show how you have to clean up the mess.

Don't knock it! my 14 year old nephew is making a killing at the playground with one of those things.

when i sold supplies you wouldn't believe how many ppl were developing and cleaning screens in their kitchen sinks or bathtubs...

and then there are the guys who take them to the coin-op car wash at night...

cartoad

Kcinnick,
I hope you are not feeling too beat up, but all have had some good advice, probably the best is to work in a sign shop for 3 months (a year is far better, but not easy to do).

Adding a few thoughts here for you from what we have learned. We are a full time operation and have been from day one, we have 1 FT employee usually and a part timer during the summer. We are not a franchise, but part of a large group of sign companies that has a number of bennifits being in a large group. We invested far more that was planned and while the original plan was to have employees do all the work, that has not proved to be viable for us.

Signs and garments are very cut throat, and the customer base will work you hard, we started our sign business 6 years ago after operating two other completly different businesses (some of us are just not too bright:)

You will need more than a couple of books to get you going, the equipment sellers all tell you how easy it is to make a profit and sell the items (ha). To be able to make money you will need to do a multiple of things until such time as you can specialize, and that will depend on your area. At this point in our business we do banners, flat signs, wraps, vinyl installs (when I cannot get out of installs) as well a laser engraved signs, tags and we do T shirts with a Brother T shirt DTG 541 printer. We have invested a lot of money in equipment and supplies to be where we are now, and it has been an expensive learning curve.

You will need good software to support your efforts depending what you are doing,
we have Corel Draw, Illistrator, Photoshop, Flexi, and add ons for them. On any given day we are using them all as no one has everything in it I want. Most of our design work is done is Flexi. You will also at some point need software for generating quotes but to begin with there are several excellent resources out there, again no one will be the end all to be all, just too many variables in making a sign.

You will need to invest in inventory and depending on who is close to you will determine the amount of inventory you need to carry, as customers will not want to wait very long once they OK a proof-.

As for screen printing, my friend/competitor who does it only makes money on large school orders, works lots of hours as everything is a rush, and shop stinks bad and has lots of waste because he is constantly getting new help.

Something else that is very important is the sales and marketing efforts, if you are working during the daytime how will you contact new clients? and equally if not more so important, how will they get ahold of you? They call, no answer, move on to the next on the list!

Take a good look at the competition in your area, small shops, big shops, out of the home, franchised ect. Do some research you may get your eye's opened.

As for some easier items to do, a garment printer is not a bad way to go, but at 20K you need to do some serious shirts every month AND I can't say for other brands but the Brother G541 you need to do a least a clean cycle every day (can take an occassional weekend off) or it will clog the heads (Brother salesmen say it doesn't require daily or even weekly cleans----but they are trying to sell it)

A laser engraver can be profitable if you can find a client base for it 16-20K new, very little maintence, if doing gift items will need to hook up with a gift shop.

Digital printer, can print banners/signs, can have signifigant investment in inventory to feed it with differend medias, and repairs can be extremely costly.

Wow, didn't mean to make such a long post! Not to discourge you, but have your eyes wide open, we enjoy our shop, but it is a lot of work and not near as profitable as we think it should be. Best of luck to you in what ever direction you go!
Hal

Spud Murphy

Screen Printing is like the lowest profession on earth. I refuse to even talk to screen printers....except when I need T-shirts badly

Jackpine

Welcome to the group....and good luck with your new adventurer.
Seems you have a lot of homework to do.

sportycliff

Let me just jump in here real quick. Do yourself and your family a huge favor, and stay far, far away from screen printing. The learning curve, and I mean understanding the "art" of screen printing is an incredibly long journey. That said, it's also a dying industry.

Regardless of what you've heard or seen, it takes years to develop the understanding and feel (yes, a lot is "black magic") to be able run a shop. Top that with the fact that the newest high speed flatbed printers are whoring the industry, and screen printing is almost dead.

Having over 25 years in the industry, I feel no shame in telling you to stay far, far away.

Also, Don't ever think that apparel, and flat printing are anything alike.
They are two entirely different industries, requiring two separate business plans, and thought processes. The only things related are on the front end, and even there...:doh: