Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Words near the top of a curved window...

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by JFERG90, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JFERG90

JFERG90 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    How do you go about desging window perf on the back of a car/van, that is curved to look straight?? is there a way to measure the curve so when you apply it it gives the appearence of straight.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. Artgunner

Artgunner Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Concord
    Maybe a fast fix would be to use paper and make a pattern by folding, cutting, taping then work finish drawing to match pattern. I did this on some extreme curves/taper and after several attempts, I got the copy straight. The layout looked like a big smile but when applied on object, it was straight.

3. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Lay a long rectangle of paper over the glass about the size of your graphic and mark or measure the curve that developes. Make your graphic fit this curve in your software with an envelope or mold function.

4. scarface

scarface Guest

On some windows i'll see where this could be helpful but on most banner installs it goes with the window well IMO

5. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    what does this mean? goes well? ...what goes well a rectangle? a curve that was made without a plan? ...exactly what are you telling us here?

I'd do it ike Adrian suggested. My last perf was on a Scion & I used scrap paper from the laminate waste & got it flat on the window, forcing a crease where the glass met the rubber trim, & I ran a pencil to that crease making an exact template for the top curve. then I cut this in the paper, checked it on the window, taped it up & made my pencil lines on the bottom & sides.

This was for an already printed job that didn't have to match that curve, but it still converted the 3D reality that looks straight across on the top, into a 2D curve that would be the one to match if I had typesetting to do.

6. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    +1 on the paper pattern, sure it taked a little extra time but it does come out well in the end.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  8. Artgunner

Artgunner Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Concord
    This is also what I do when doing graphics on concrete mixer drums. You are dealing with a taper and a curve at the same time. Art