• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getty images sued for 1 billion

Techman

Renowned photographer Carol M. Highsmith is reportedly suing Getty Images for $1 billion, claiming that the stock photo company committed copyright infringement through the “gross misuse” of 18,755 of her photographs documenting America.

PDNPulse first reported that the 70-year-old Highsmith filed her lawsuit on July 25, 2016, in the Federal Court of New York, claiming that Getty has been charging licensing fees for the use of her photographs without her consent.

http://petapixel.com/2016/07/27/photographer-suing-getty-images-1-billion/

another already won 1.2 mil

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/23/daniel-morel-awarded-1-2m-damages-law-suit-afp-getty-images/

Phenex

The actual complaint is an interesting read. The complaint also copies this from the cease and desist letter.

In the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the Letter, the answer to the question “What if I didn’t know?” includes the following language: “You may have employed a third party, former worker or intern to design and develop your company’s site. However, the liability of any infringement ultimately falls on the company (the end user) who hired that party, employee or intern.” The answer to the question “What if I simply remove the image?”

I wonder how they are going to argue their way out of their own standards? Gee we're sorry will take it down we didn't know.

The next line in the complaint reads:

The answer to the question “What if I simply remove the image?” includes the following language: “While we appreciate the effort of removing the material in question from your site, we still need compensation. Your company has benefited by using our imagery without our permission. As the unauthorized use has already occurred, payment for that benefit is necessary.”

Let's see if what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Definitely one to follow.