• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gilders tip....now what?

Billct2

I use a technique similiar to Joe Chips, taught to me by Paul White.
I use the gilders tip to pull the leaf from the book and float it into the letter,
trying to get it to go down one side of the letter and then up the other.
I use my nose for the "sticky".
I use an old sable short lettering brush to gently push the gold in.
I keep a box of old skewings (leftover gold scraps) to dump in the letter to catch any holidays (spots the were missed). Look at the letter from a few angles to be sure you hit it all.
I try to use slow size whenever possible with a little one shot for colorant.

signmeup

WOW...that tool from Dave Smith is awesome! (I'm definately gonna look into one)

oh, I wouldn't ever use the 1-shot size for something like this...the 1-shot size is only good for things like truck lettering & pinstriping. (sorry 1-shot)
OK....I'll bite.....what do you use for V carved letters in HDU?

3dsignco

Yah RIGHT!!!
just another one of those late night info-mertials that never work like you thought they would once you get it home.

Do you really believe that someone has created a "Gold" magnet. That is what I'm seein' there, a "Gold"magnet.
Attracts only Gold and allows you to transfer it from the book to your work. Easy Peasy!

I have one of these and yes it works just as advertised. But it is designed for glass work with water size. I would never question Dave about his ability as a Gold Man. He's one of the best in the world.

Lug, Did you get a single or double strength tip. I found out the hard way. I thought when I first started a Double would make it easier to lift the gold. I fought and fought with that tip for months to find out a Double makes it harder..(Less hold) I got a single and was slapping gold like crazy with that.

Kent Smith showed me a few tips also.. Condition your tip with Vaseline Hair tonic. (Not the jelly) You will get a great hold on the gold. Then its hust a matter of hetting the flow right with the brush and wrist.

As for your size. 1 Shot quick will dull your finish a little, but in a V Grove soo. Add some Yellow to your size that way you can see if your getting a even coat. One reason a lot of guys don't like the fast size is its open time. Small window to get all the gold on. about 30 minutes. Tough on large work.
The nice thing about slow is you a have a window of many hours to a day.
Many guys will mix Quick size and slow size for 12 hour setup time till your knuckle squeek. Don't confuse 1 shot fast size with Quick size. 2 Different animals.

Yes LeFranc slow Size is the best (My Opinion) if you can get the old formula with Lead. I still have 3 quarts of that.
So far all I have tried of new. (Non-Leaded size) has been the Rolco slow size and seems to work fine.

I am by no way a Gold Guru still learning like the rest but I hope some of this helps.
And get that Book.. It has helped me in may ways.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We generally use Hastings, but also use Rolco for Quick Size. I'm quite partial to Slow Set size and will use it almost every chance I get.

Anyone know where to get roll gold handles anymore ?? The last few places I talked to says they can't get them anymore. I'd like a 3/4" and 3" and I really don't know how to build one.

mrchips

Gino.

I just talked to Urban at W & B Gold leaf (Wehrung & Billmeier Co.) and they have the rollers......only one left but they have more on back order from Germany. (2-3 weeks)
1-773-447-1544

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

SignosaurusRex

Gino.

I just talked to Urban at W & B Gold leaf (Wehrung & Billmeier Co.) and they have the rollers......only one left but they have more on back order from Germany. (2-3 weeks)
1-773-447-1544

Joe,

:thumb: Thanks Joe! I too was trying to find them.

mrchips

Signmeup.....

I use the 1 Shot fast for the small ones and I have some old lead based from Kurz and Partners for my 12hr+ jobs. I guess one uses what best meets their own needs.

In my case I actually speed up the dry time with the 1 Shot with their speed dry UV clear.......but that's another story.

Joe,

ps I also have a neat trick to take a lot of guess work outa tack testing.....again, another story.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They finally called me back today and I ordered a large one and a small one. The guy was quite excited about the order... and it's not even a large order.

Thanks again, Joe.

mrchips

I'm glad you got hold of them cause I typed the wrong number.....

Musta had some good smoke yesterday....er somethin. lol

These are the RIGHT #'s

W & B Goldleaf.....

773-472-1544

or

773-360-0122

Joe,

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah... I wanted to say something about that. I went to their website and couldn't figure out why you posted a wrong number ??

I figured it was weed or drink related..................... :Oops:​

mrchips

The funny part is I called them again this afternoon using the number I posted yesterday.......reached some guy with a spanish accent......he wasn't happy. lol

Maybe he got more than two calls from my typo......ut oh

Joe,