• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gino's attachments

ProWraps

hey is there anyone else that cant see them? every one i see is a link, that when i click on, it makes me re log in to the site.

gino, not calling you out or anything like that whatsoever. the reason I didnt PM you about it, is because I know you can see them. i just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem as me.

every single attachment from gino does it to me. and its frustrating because i want to look at them!

weaselboogie

I've had that with several members pictures. It seems that there's the standard login screen and then with some pictures you need to log in again... maybe it's to view pictures from the album section? I don't know... I've logged in twice and I can see all pics.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First I've heard of it and I haven't experienced it. My first suggestion is to make sure that you have listed Signs101.com in your browser preferences as exempted from you security settings for cookie exchanges and popup blocking.

Pat Whatley

I have the same problem Fred, and the site is as exempt as it could be. It has stopped making me log back in every thirty seconds like it was doing for a while.

joeshaul

Do you have a link to a thread in question?

Are you using www.signs101.com for your primary forum browsing address, or are you just using signs101.com? Seems to me I ran across something similar when I was just using signs101.com for browsing without the www subdomain.

ProWraps

only ginos... its very strange.

DAAMMNN YOUUUUU GINNNNOOOOOO!!!

:stares at sky and pumps fist whist screaming:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Those of you having a problem ... would you please post what browser and version number you are using.

ProWraps

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.0

does it on all my machines. and i think some of them have different browsers.

but i did find a picture of gino whilest i was bored and trying to figure out this heinous problem. and i saved a bunch of money on my insurance by going with geico.

Attachments

• iheartgino.jpg
    iheartgino.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68

weaselboogie

Firefox 3.6.3, but I don't remember having to do it for a while... maybe a couple of months and it could have been before I updated firefox.

It really wasn't a big issue before. I stay logged in all the time, but anytime I've clear my history, I need to re-log in and I might be ok for a while until I run across a picture that requires me to log in again. I've always assumed it was a picture linked from the photo gallery or something.

joeshaul

Pretty sure it's a cookie problem and using the incorrect address. Here's how I was able to duplicate a similar problem:

Log out of www.signs101.com (click the log out link in the righthand side of screen)
Go to signs101.com (without the www)
Go to thread "Today Smokers"

You should now see Fred's post like:
I got so fed up with the self extinguishing paper that I now make my own cigarettes. Bought an electric tobacco injector machine

Click image for larger version Name: powermatic2-ad3.jpg Views: 0 Size: 37.8 KB ID: 51905

bulk tobacco

Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_183233.gif Views: 0 Size: 80.3 KB ID: 51908 Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_279380.gif Views: 0 Size: 26.7 KB ID: 51906

and pre-made filter tubes that aren't treated to self extinguish

Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_2925787.jpg Views: 0 Size: 10.3 KB ID: 51907

Solution:
Go to signs101.com
Log out
Go to www.signs101.com
Update all bookmarks to be www.signs101.com
Should hopefully be set

Edit:
I did this using Firefox, however I do not believe it to be a browser issue, so should be reproduced on various browsers. I know I've seen it on various Firefox 2 versions as well as 3, I first noticed it on my laptop when I traveled and such and was too lazy to type the www

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Pretty sure it's a cookie problem and using the incorrect address. Here's how I was able to duplicate a similar problem:

Log out of www.signs101.com (click the log out link in the righthand side of screen)
Go to signs101.com (without the www)
Go to thread "Today Smokers"

You should now see Fred's post like:
I got so fed up with the self extinguishing paper that I now make my own cigarettes. Bought an electric tobacco injector machine

Click image for larger version Name: powermatic2-ad3.jpg Views: 0 Size: 37.8 KB ID: 51905

bulk tobacco

Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_183233.gif Views: 0 Size: 80.3 KB ID: 51908 Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_279380.gif Views: 0 Size: 26.7 KB ID: 51906

and pre-made filter tubes that aren't treated to self extinguish

Click image for larger version Name: stuffyourown_2101_2925787.jpg Views: 0 Size: 10.3 KB ID: 51907

Solution:
Go to signs101.com
Log out
Go to www.signs101.com
Update all bookmarks to be www.signs101.com
Should hopefully be set

You may be onto something. but I think it may also be related to how the pic is attached. I'm attaching two pics to this post. Tell me if you see both, one or none.

hawaiian-pizza.jpg

Attachments

• stuffyourown_2101_2925787.jpg
    stuffyourown_2101_2925787.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 82

joeshaul

You are correct, the inline/body message attachment shows up as "Click image for larger version Name: hawaiian-pizza.jpg Views: 0 Size: 21.3 KB ID: 51912", the other image appears fine.

Viewing source shows similar to what I expected, on the inline message it's using a direct path instead of relative path:

img src="http://www.signs101.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51912&thumb=1&d=1275697382"

And the other attachment method uses a relative path:
img class="thumbnail" src="attachment.php?attachmentid=51913&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1275697382

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You are correct, the inline/body message attachment shows up as "Click image for larger version Name: hawaiian-pizza.jpg Views: 0 Size: 21.3 KB ID: 51912", the other image appears fine.

Viewing source shows similar to what I expected, on the inline message it's using a direct path instead of relative path:

img src="http://www.signs101.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51912&thumb=1&d=1275697382"

img class="thumbnail" src="attachment.php?attachmentid=51913&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1275697382

Any suggestion for a solution?

signmeup

I get red x images fairly often. We discussed it and some said they saw the red x's and some said they saw what was posted. RGB vs CMYK was blamed. I'm logged into www.signs101.com in IE.

neato

Yep, same here.

Using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

joeshaul

Basically the nutshell of what's happening is: Users upload the image and copy the link, which isn't actually a direct image, instead it's a php script that pulls up the image and has www.signs101.com in the URL. When embedded into same message, it's a directpath link, as the Image Tag (or whatever Vbulletin refers to for its formatting parameters) doesn't look for paths per se, as it isn't sure where the actual image will be at and is generally made to accept images from offsite locations. If a user isn't signed in to www.signs101.com, but instead is signed into signs101.com, they fail the User Validation check on the attachment.php script (which is part of the copy/pasted url), as the browser contacts www.signs101.com to get the image, for which it doesn't have a cookie/session for, and fails.

The solutions:

You could redirect to signs101.com to www.signs101.com, this is usually available from the hosts side of things. This could cause some issues with users using signs101.com until they clear their cookies (potential issues could be having to log in frequently, or being in a constant state of "not logged in" depending on browser). This would prevent any future versions/software from having the same issue.

Rewrite the image tag code. May sound like a pain in the butt, but you could turn it into a "kill two birds with one stone" thing, in that it could both prohibit off-site images and you could alter the tag so that it does relative paths/chops off the whole "http://www.signs101.com/". I'm unsure how vBulletins innards works, but in PHPBB there's a file that translates all of its formatting codes ("BBCodes", might be the same used in vB). Generally rewriting tags is just a matter of a little bit of PHP experience and knowing some Regular Expressions (regexp). The bad thing about modifying the bbcode, is if you decide to upgrade to a newer version and just do a clean code install while leaving the database in tact, the changes go out the window.

The final solution would be to just tell users to quit signing into signs101.com and to use www.signs101.com, I'm sure the amount of people it has affected is fairly minimal.

In my opinion the rewriting of the tag code is probably the best, just so you could finally quit having to edit all those posts with "offsite images are not allowed" as well!

PSG

Fred,

I get the same thing all the time too. I am on Firefox also, seems to be part of the common thread from what I can see.

Here is a screen capture for me of the two images you posted in #13 so you can see what we are getting.

The Hawaiian pizza pic shows in a separate window when clicked, and like the others I am asked to log in again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3

Attachments

• fred's images.png
    fred's images.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 117