• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gloss Vs Matte Print media

16skyline

Hi,

Just wondered if someone out there has any tricks.

I have a SC500 running Roland EcoMax inks, when I use matte vinyl it is produces a very good print. When I use the same file/profile on gloss the print is not good at all the color seem to run into one another.

The problem that I have is I can use matte vinyl for a lot of things, but then there are some materials that I just can't get in matte they are gloss, I have tried a lot of different profiles and they are all the same.

Any help or tips would be great

printing on matte and laminating with gloss gives you the gloss effect, so you get the good print from the material in matte and then the gloss effect you need from the lam.

16skyline

printing on matte and laminating with gloss gives you the gloss effect, so you get the good print from the material in matte and then the gloss effect you need from the lam.

That's what I do, but I can't get a matte reflective to print on for example so I have to print on the gloss reflective which then causes a problem.

Cheers

Sign Eagle

You need to use a profile for the material or at least try one for gloss material. We get good results printing on Orialite with our Falcon II Outdoor, have not gotten good prints on Avery reflective.

Rydaddy

On our JV3 and our EPSON I have always found that matte media prints better. It is entirely possible that this is specific to our environment and/or "how we print", but matte media does print better for us. We make our own profiles now, which I thought would change the gloss vs. matte situation... but it didn't. For us it is matte material whenever possible.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Photographers regularly print on matte because the image is much more crisp. I believe the SC500 issue with the reflective is a PRE-heat issue. Try increasing the PRE-heat in order to open the pores of the reflective, thereby allowing the inks to BITE better.

petepaz

we have the same issue with our roland machines. the gloss is acceptable but the matte vinyls give us a better print. when i print on reflective and have this problem i just put the setting to high quality print, takes alot longer but it solves the quality problem for us.

sfr table hockey

Photographers regularly print on matte because the image is much more crisp. I believe the SC500 issue with the reflective is a PRE-heat issue. Try increasing the PRE-heat in order to open the pores of the reflective, thereby allowing the inks to BITE better.

I think Tim is right on the media that seem not to print well. Heat has to be set higher. And also as was said some reflectives may not print as well as others. I too used Oracal's Oralite 5700 and it prints nice and no extra heat but not sure you can get that over there.