• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

going to buy a router

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
Black and Decker is good. :rolleyes:

Techman

If yer getting a hand router porter cable si about the upper end. They are well designed and run well.

If you looking for a cnc router. Lets talk realistic...

There are more than a few cnc routers going real cheap lately. Why? because there is very little work for them.The market is ruined by low ballers just like vinyl. Too many have less sense than the cash they used to buy the machine. But, if you can find a niche you will be ok.

There was just a multicam on sale here for 6 grand. That's right. $6,000 with an upgraded new spindle and upgraded controller and a few other goodies.

There was recently an xyz router for sale here for just $5 grand. All they wanted was to get it out of their hair. No paying work for it. CNC routing was a thing to do to make money. But now the market for them has tanked and you can find one really cheap. Some are dumping them just like vinyl cutters are being dumped.

But then, you will need dust collection and vacuum tables. Lots of money there. The electrical is another big expense. I built one because I have a use for one.

John L

I really hate to say (and I am not a doomsday proponent) it but thats good advice. I kinda half agree that the markets that most signmakers & cabinet makers are after is pretty much done in most of the US. Unless you are already in a business and are currently selling a product that the added effeciency, accuracy, and capability will VERY QUICKLY pay for it all... the hardware, the software, the deep learning curve...and I emphasize, Very Quickly. Then I really would consider it deeply before jumping in.

If you decide to go with it... I'm sorry to say, a net search will turn up literally thousands of auctions, repo's, and liquidations for sale on the cheap in every major city.