• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gold leafing...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hi guys.... I have a few questions.

In my never ending quest to improve, I have thought about learning to be more hands on. One thing that I have never done is gold leafing.

I'm not sure where to start. I have looked at the sign craft website and magazines at at books and videos, and I'm not sure which one is the best.

Can anyone recommend a good learning approach.

Also, looking at sign supply websites, and I'm confused as to the different types of leaf.

Thanks for any info in advance,

Mark

tbullo

Superunknown
Its best to read something like Gold Leaf Techniques by Raymond Leblanc. It also helps if you can find someone that doing what you want to do and get some hands on. Lots of you tube videos as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do ya wanna gild flat surfaces or glass ??

I would advise starting out with flat work and learn the characteristics of sizing and window time to sealing it and burnishing. It's easiest to learn flat and go from there.

It's gonna cost you some bucks up front mainly for the gold, but in the end a few hundred dollars and you'll have it down pat.

Besides, there is NO vinyl gold leaf that looks anything close to the real McCoy. Out in the sun, it looks like the brightest thing on earth. It's beautiful.

signcrafters

I got some great help at the USSC show in Atlantic City from Francis Lestingi.
For as long as I can remember he has been doing demos on the convention floor.
Might wanna check out his site and see if he's gonna be there.
Sure, you can read all you want, but you can't ask a book a question.

Check him at
http://www.signsofgold.com

Kottwitz-Graphics

I got some great help at the USSC show in Atlantic City from Francis Lestingi.
For as long as I can remember he has been doing demos on the convention floor.
Might wanna check out his site and see if he's gonna be there.
Sure, you can read all you want, but you can't ask a book a question.

Check him at
http://www.signsofgold.com

I'm headed to sign world on Dec. 6th, I just want to know enough not to ask really dumb questions.

I could spend all 3 days in the bullpen.

Jackpine

For anyone that wants to learn....there are no dumb questions. You will love the gold effect on signs. A great market is personal house signs or just house number signs. Once word gets out they will find you. The brilliance of the look sells the product.

I'm headed to sign world on Dec. 6th, I just want to know enough not to ask really dumb questions.

I could spend all 3 days in the bullpen.

Signsforwhile

i taught myself years ago.

go buy a book of leaf - we use a lot of 23k austrailian leaf. I think it's at about $60 per book. Get a pint of size (i like one shot or luco) and experiment away. All the sizes have basic drying times and conditions before leafing so you'll get some what of a head start on it. Trial and error my friend!

jgaskin

Mark,

Like others have mentioned previously, Francis Lestingi is an excellent source of information when you're just getting your feet wet in gilding. There's a wealth of information in the articles section of his website, signsofgold.com. Francis has a style of writing that's much appreciated by the beginning gilder in that he's verbose enough to explain a lot of those details that are so valuable when you're just starting out, that may otherwise get left out if the author assumes the reader has any level of experience above beginner.

If you've got any specific questions about getting started, PM me and I'll give you some detailed explanations.

Good luck in your quest....
Jason

MikePro

books are great, but youtube videos are awesome.

i wonder, is there a non-gold leafing material out there that simulates real gold leaf? I'd love to practice myself, but worry about burning through a bunch off $$$product.

knucklehead

I've occaisonally bought some of the little sheets from there. Other than the size, couldn't find anything bad to say about them. It was actually more brilliant than some Hastings I had, put side, to side. They're just small, but work fine, for small projects.

OldPaint

SINCE......you have never done this, i would not start or practice with 23K leaf!!!!!! you can go to hobby lobby/micheals or some local hobby store and get some IMITATION SILVER LEAF/GOLD. only thing with this stuff is after you do the leafing you will have to clear coat or it will tarnish or dull out. BUT FOR PRACTICE........it will give you some experiance without costing a fortune.