• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good evening to everyone

jim631121

Very new and wet behind the ears here, with plenty of questions. I recently ordered a Roland SV-15 and a Roland GX-24 vinyl cutters. I used my income tax refund for the purchase. I want to begin a small business making the vinyl graphics you might see on the rear windshield of vehicles. The cutters arrived with a " starter Kit ", which included cutting software, vector graphics, a few assorted roll of vinyl. I have done some cutting using the vector graphics included. But what I don't know is this; Are the rights to popular graphics some have on their vehicle, such as football team logos, the Harley-Davidson shield and the long running comic strip kid wizzing on all sorts of things, owned by companies or individuals? Can they be reproduced by me?

I have done internet searches for vector graphics for vinyl cutting and have found many graphics to buy. I just don't want to spend $ 100 + for a set of CD's that contain hundreds of things I don't want just for a few I would use. Are there alternatives?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, guidance and advice

Jim

TheSnowman

I'm not a genius on this matter at all...but you can't just start cuttin' team logos (although many do) and sell them for your profit. They still own them, and the real guys that make this stuff pay out big bucks to be able to use it.

jim631121

I thought so too, but then I thought there must be some royalty or licencing agreement. I cant find anything like that though.

Thanks for the quick response.
Jim

anotherdog

I'm thinking this is a grey market.
We have done 1-offs for a fan of a team, but would never create it as a product.
the short of it is a massive breach of copyright.
The licencing for things like team logos is complicated, expensive and therefore protected by teams of lawyers.

BobM

Do a copywrite search here on Signs 101. There have many in depth posts regarding the use of logo's and designs.

Dave Drane

Sorry Jim, but if you start even looking at doing any Harley stuff, then you will be in deep doo doo!! Also welcome to Signs 101 friom down under!!

J Hill Designs

I'm wondering if it's on a CD that was purchased, wouldn't it be included under a blanket license deal through the CD manufacturer?

edit: oh. and welcome from cali =-)

jim631121

Thanks for the insights

It would seem I have much research to do. I appreciate all of the opinions and advice. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as soon as I have some time to put the thoughts together.

Good Day to all, and thanks.

Jim

jscarl

Welcome from mid Michigan. Do your homework before you try it. It could be very expensive. Check out Fred's site here on S101.

Cadmn

most those cd's are pirated Harley will take you for everything you got if u cross them.

iSign

A great deal of clip art CD's are not legal in the first place, but among those that manage to contain copyright images through the use of a legal loophole, you can count on one thing... the loophole is in their licensing agreement, that will say something like: you can NOT use the images for commercial purposes...

The other comment I wanted to make is this... besides the issue of copyright... you can make money with SIGNS!! ...but I highly doubt you can ever expect to do very well just cutting flea market stickers... even if that is what you thought when you bought this equipment, you came here for advice, so I'll tell you I think that is a deadend waste of time & you might as well know now before you spend a lot of time looking for the money making sticker files!

jim631121

Straight to the point

The other comment I wanted to make is this... besides the issue of copyright... you can make money with SIGNS!! ...but I highly doubt you can ever expect to do very well just cutting flea market stickers... even if that is what you thought when you bought this equipment, you came here for advice, so I'll tell you I think that is a deadend waste of time & you might as well know now before you spend a lot of time looking for the money making sticker files!

I see you get straight to the point of things... thats good! Because I'm sure some here started out as a small operation, I'm not looking to get rich from vinyl decals, its a starting point. So all of the advice I can get to help me get started is apprecitated.

Thanks
Jim

jdb

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the questions and responses you've posted so far. Do things the right way and give it 110% and I think you have a very good chance in the sign biz. Good luck and welcome!

anotherdog

I am intrigued by how many people start a business without doing a basic calculation that will tell them if the business has a hope of supporting them.

With the new employment figures showing most of the new jobs in North America are "self employed" I wonder how many of these are in signs and decals.

Congrats though on not adding the cost of borrowed money to your overhead.
Its never easy but if you make it work its an incredible feeling.