• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good Film for Store Front - Blocking Sun

dbern50

Hi,

My client would like to cover some windows. 18 small windows, 5" x 5", 2 Sides Lights, 2 Glass Doors and 3 Windows (Partial). They want to reduce sunlight and heat.

I was looking into 3m Sun Control Window Film but I don't have $2000 to spend on this project. I am looking at Solar Gard films which are a lot less expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with Solar Gard? Will it do what I need it to do? Any other suggestions?

Chasez

I was looking into 3m Sun Control Window Film but I don't have $2000 to spend on this project. I am looking at Solar Gard films which are a lot less expensive.

Just Remember you get what you pay for... 3M films are higher quality than others and are mean't to last. We are an authorized 3M dealer here in Canada and we've had some film up for over 20 years without an issue... where we've seen other brands barely last a year before they start to degrade... The 3M may be more expensive but in the long run it will be cheaper as with other brands you could be re-doing the job every couple of years.

Chaz

dbern50

Thermal shades. Call a home decorator. This is their line of work, not a sign shop.

Okay. The client and I were originally talking about etchlook or frosted crystal for the windows to function in the same manner with some added benefit/disadvantage of privacy. They have some really cool stuff they would like outside patrons to see. I was going to design some graphics so this would function as an advertisement and also block the sun. My second thought was why not get some good window tint, install sub-surface and add vinyl graphics to the front of the windows. I have a plotter, why not do it all?

That being said. If I covered these windows with etchlook, would they block any sun or heat? I don't think perforated vinyl is an option.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not do it all....you say. Because what you are describing will most likely look like sh!t. Post up pictures of what you wanna do and pictures of the various windows in question, as your description(s) just don't cut it.

dbern50

Why not do it all....you say. Because what you are describing will most likely look like sh!t. Post up pictures of what you wanna do and pictures of the various windows in question, as your description(s) just don't cut it.

I don't see why this shouldn't work well.

Attachments

• Option.jpg
    Option.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 253

KMC

Graphic Artist
I don't see why this shouldn't work well.
i would totally mix it up place the sun control up on the top windows and frost/etch all of the bottom windows and doors but i would not do a solid frost more of the example you have in the picture a cut pattern to break it up a lot
on the bigger 3 windows take note on where your seam will be as i dont think you can get frosted or etch vinyl that wide (48"max)
not my images below
frosted-window-patterns-cozy-inspiration-6-trending-designs-that-you-can-use-for-your-film-800x413.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
on the bigger 3 windows take note on where your seam will be as i dont think you can get frosted or etch vinyl that wide (48"max)
not my images below
3M, Avery, and Arlon offer 60" "etched" media. Probably Oracal does, too- but I've never used it.