• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

good nail gun for Al profiles ?

hi,
do you know, how strong nail gun ( air, electrical ) is good
enough, to come through Al profiles.
need it for vinyl light sign .
thanks alot for your tips.

Offsite Pic Replaced - - - Please Follow Our Photo Posting Rules

Attachments

• signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:

Replicator

I would think self-tapping screws would be better . . . or Staples of some sort !

Last edited:

hi,
thanks! you´re right.
i wrote nails, but i mean stamples of course.
sorry for my mistake.

Replicator

well, staples are still not self tapping screws...haveta be a pretty rugged staple to pierce aluminum i would think...
You'd be surprised how easily a good staple gun will shoot stapled through 040 aluminum. any thicker and I would go self tapping myself.

cgsigns_jamie

Contact Milliken... They should be able to help you.. What your doing is very common with awnings.

Typically for flex faces you would use a clip system. Why did you decide to staple the fabric?

hi,
thanks for your help and ideas.
usually, we use clip system, but with staples you save time and money.
when i get a sample of Al profile with fixed fabric, i´ll poste it here as
a sample.
i tried a strong air staple gun for joiners with no effect.
it must be pretty strong for this.

John L

As stated, what you want is an awning stapler. Milliken is a MM here and I think they sell them, so check there first.

Ours actually came from here... http://www.steelstitch.com/awningfabricationtools.htm
It's not the best quality of tool but we only use ours for an occasional awning to go with electric sign projects. We are not a dedicated awning company.

Good luck with it.

hi, thaks alot for your tips.
i´d also be glad, if anyone shares his/her valued experiences with awning staplers.
best of luck!

andy

Looks to me like your profile system is designed to make use of a slide insert which should have the fabric stapled to it.

I can't really understand why you want to whack the fabric straight onto the aluminium? How are you going to adjust the tension? What happens if you get a wrinkle in the face? How do you get it out?

Most flexface systems I've used have an insert system coupled with spring loaded or ratchet tension devices.

hi,
you´re right about the technology.
i haven´t found any wrinklel, there´re designed some special vise grip pliers
to strech the fabric,before you steple to the profile.

note: i´ve jus tgot general information about it and seen a few flex faces.
any good and practical tips with detailed pictures about different techniques f.f. making are welcomed in this thread !
don´t care about your photographic talent :)

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5787/74362291.jpg

merry christas and a happy new year
ᏓᏂᏍᏔᏲᎯᎲ & ᎠᎵᎮᎵᏍᏗ ᎢᏤ ᎤᏕᏘᏴᎠᏌᏗᏒ
ᖱᒣᖳᒐᒉᑊᖿᒪᔪᖱᖽᐧᒡᒧᐧᖾᒍ
Crăciun fericit şi un An Nou Fericit

Last edited:

Typestries

We have a stanley bostich stapler and it works just fine for the milliken extrusion with cooley or sunbrella. The tip of the nailer fits right into the channel in the extrusion. We also have a palm nailer that my guys modded to hammer in the rubber trim. Haven't done one in a good while, but once you get going, covering these things is a snap.

-Rick