• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

good printer / cutter questions

solrac

Hello to everyone. i am new here. =)
i am in the search of a good printer /cutter.
so far the ones ive seen for a good price are
Roland CJ 400 converted to solvent - 5k
Roland SC 500 - 6k
Roland Soljet Proiiv SC 545ex - 6k

what do you guys think about these printers?
or what would you guys recommend that is better?

rjssigns

Hear me now believe me later. Buy whatever brand of printer from the shop closest to yours. Make sure they have qualified techs also. I don't care what brand or what others claim regarding reliability, everything breaks and usually at the worst possible time. Parts and service are 40 minutes from my location. This saved my butt a few times.

Don't go looking for "the deal" on printers either. Deals usually mean no warranty and no tech support.

petepaz

Hear me now believe me later. Buy whatever brand of printer from the shop closest to yours. Make sure they have qualified techs also. I don't care what brand or what others claim regarding reliability, everything breaks and usually at the worst possible time. Parts and service are 40 minutes from my location. This saved my butt a few times.

Don't go looking for "the deal" on printers either. Deals usually mean no warranty and no tech support.

+1 to this but you should still look for a good name brand not something made in the guy down the block's garage. service is super important. once you invest in the machine it needs to run so you can pay for it and profit. down time is a killer

threeputt

Roland is a good machine. (we have one) But please know that there are many manufacturers out there. If you're buying used, as it sounds you are, condition of the printer is paramount.

How much time is left on the print heads surely is a factor. (they can run 1000 bucks each) Six head machine, you do the math.

Also, assess your needs. Now and in the future. Try to look ahead a little bit.

The comment about having service nearby is also valid. Service is not cheap and you'll want to minimize service calls.

Don't forget a laminator of the same size. ie: 54", 60" etc.

My two cents.

solrac

U guys are right..
I was trying to buy used and save money. But if something goes wrong I might just end paying for a used machine what I would of bought a new one.
Brand to me doesn't matter as long as it is good brand.
ive talked to mutoh since its close by and they finance but most of their printers don't cut.
so that's why I looked at roland.. Ill check out mimaki to see if there is someone close to me..
I live in Los Angeles area and I don't wanna spend more money at the for saving a bit buying use..
Thanks for the advice guys

Jackpine

"but most of their printers don't cut"
You will get a better work flow with a printer AND a cutter. And if the printers down you can still be cutting or it the cutter breaks down you can still printing.