• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good starter vinyl application kit?

Carter13

I recently bought a GCC 24" cutter that I'm going to use for lettering for a box truck.

I wondering if someone can point me in the direction of a good starter vinyl application kit.

I see one on ebay, but not sure it is what I need.

I'd like to pay for it through paypal rather than having to submit my cc info.

Also, do I need the specialized cleaning solutions recommended, or will a good industrial cleaner from a hardware or auto parts store work?

Thanks for any replies

OldPaint

can i ask a serious question? WHY...... did you buy the cutter? and what do you know about signs ? the question you ask causes me to think....................this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To add to OP's question..... after checking out your profile... what business are you in and who does the truck belong to ??

Sign_Boy

I would think that just about any of the major suppliers can set you up with a starter kit.

Were you looking to use this for practice or is this what you were going to letter the box truck with?

As for the cleaning solution... I guess this would depend on if the vehicle has wax on it or not.

:popcorn:

Carter13

can i ask a serious question? WHY did you buy the cutter?

To put letters on the side of my truck.

and what do you know about signs ? the question you ask causes me to think....................this.

Not a whole lot. I've read some online about them and watched some videos of guys applying lettering to their stuff on youtube.

what business are you in and who does the truck belong to ??

It's my truck, so it wouldn't need to be perfect. It would be website related advertising.

Thanks

OldPaint

AHHHHHHHH......... you priced a lettering job, and thought it was to much to pay, huh?

Not a whole lot. I've read some online about them and watched some videos of guys applying lettering to their stuff on youtube.
i chuckle again..............my comedy relief for the day. hahahahahahahaha

It's my truck, so it wouldn't need to be perfect. It would be website related advertising.
now you said it all........IT DONT NEED TO BE PERFECT. so now tell us, what line of NOT SO PERFECT WORK ARE YOU TRYING TO SELL............with this NOT SO PERFECT LETTERING.... on your truck, to advertise...................
YOUR NOT SO PERFECT WORK THAT YOU EXPECT TO GET PAID FOR?????????

Thanks
amazing aint it???

letterman7

Carter... I think you need to come clean and tell us what exactly your plans are. You write in your profile that you have no experience, and yet you bought a plotter just to letter your own box truck? Huh? While it may have been "cheap", having a pro letter the truck would have been cheaper yet in the returns from your web advertising business - maybe. Do you have decent clientele in that? No? A lettered box truck ain't gonna help you.

While most of the pros on here get riled at a newbie starting up and asking newbie questions, it's out of sheer morbid curiosity that we'll take the time to respond. Your question would have been answered by using the search function and taking the time to read through the forum sections. I shake my head at those initial questions too, but everyone has to start somewhere.

My basic install kit includes:
X-acto with box of bladed (#11)
Squeegees, both hard, soft and felt
Pencil, china marker and Sharpie
Assortment of hand tools for removable rivets or bolts that might be in the way of the design
Box of lint-free rags
Rapid-Tac
Windex (I know...I know...the regulars will understand)
Bottle of alcohol (denatured...)
Bottle of lacquer thinner (for stubborn road grime and tar). Test with surface first!
Rolls of masking tape
Roll of duct tape

So there you go - only one guy's kit, and that is only a partial list depending on the job at hand.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Thanks

Ok, the first thing that comes to my mind is the first thing that someone sees when they try to register... "If you are making or are seeking to make signs and graphic products for your own needs, you have entered a community where you are not welcome. Please do not attempt to register."

:help

Carter13

Wow, you guys are a bunch of sweethearts.

AHHHHHHHH......... you priced a lettering job, and thought it was to much to pay, huh?

Yes, that's part of it. I also want to be able to be able to make things for nieces, nephews etc., and if things go well with the truck, then I can try other things.

i chuckle again..............my comedy relief for the day. hahahahahahahaha

Excellent.

now you said it all........IT DONT NEED TO BE PERFECT. so now tell us, what line of NOT SO PERFECT WORK ARE YOU TRYING TO SELL............with this NOT SO PERFECT LETTERING.... on your truck, to advertise...................
YOUR NOT SO PERFECT WORK THAT YOU EXPECT TO GET PAID FOR?????????

It'll be advertising for myself, at least in the beginning. I may offer space in the future, but would get my feet wet with my own stuff.

amazing aint it???

No, not amazing...... SAD.

OK.

Thanks for the helpful comments. I guess the sarcastic ones are meant to be helpful as well, but could be worded a bit differently.

I was just seeing if someone here offered a start up kit as I thought some members offer things for sale through here. With experienced people here, I figured I'd get the right advice.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's time.

Pat Whatley

I say the guy gets whatever help he needs, we might even need to chip in and buy him a startup kit for what he's done...

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER OP USED THE QUOTE BUTTON CORRECTLY!

Even more than correctly, he actually added colored responses to specific points, and made clear, concise responses.

Now that I think about it this is too good to be true. Somebody hacked OP's account.

Mosh

I gots me a hammer, cause I is going to build me my own house. Them dar contractors and architecks costs way too much. I seen them building a house on youtube so it can't be that hard. I also want to make my nefew a birdhouse if all goes well....

letterman7

:) Don't laugh, Mosh. My house was built by it's original owner back in '24. Rumor has it that the only thing he had ever built previously was birdhouses.... and it shows in some places! Still standing, though, if not a little crooked in spots!