• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Google Voice questions

Hi Guys. Hope everyone is doing well & that business is booming for all.

here is my question that I would like some thoughts on. I very rarely talk on the phone any more and text & email instead.

I REALLY wanted the Galaxy Note,however it is not available with my carrier (verizon) & I have had service with all of the major providers & frankly in all of the areas I have lived none of them come close to competing with verizon..i do however despise them I feel that my carrier works against me not with me..but I digress that is another topic for another time..

so here is what I am considering & would like feedback from anyone who has tried something similar.

I am considering purchasing the latest ipad & utilizing google voice for the very few phone calls I make. Does anyone see a problem with this &if so what

my next concern is that the people who call me can reliably reach me or leave me a voice message using this setup.

but I would MUCH rather carry one device vs my:
cell phone
camera
kindle
laptop
etc

verizon hasn't been able to give me a good answer. At&t hasn't been able to give me a good answer.

anyone have any ideas,thoughts, suggestions? I truly don't care what it costs if it works & it meets my needs.

thank you in advance for your thoughtd, ideas & suggestions. Or even alternative suggestions.

have a good night & again thank you

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Google voice is good but I've never used it within the iPhone/iPad app to make or receive calls.

I have and do use the Skype iPhone/iPad app to make and receive calls and so does my business parter who handles all customer support. We both work from home and it's more convienent to use our iPhone via Skype to make calls to customers without exposing our personal cell phone.

And it's DIRT CHEAP to setup a Skype phone number and have unlimited voice calls within the US. Pre-pay for a year and get it for half off which is $4.99 per month. And I think to order a phone number to receive calls is just $10 or so. Total is less than $90 per year.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/premium/

Good luck!

Kevin-shopVOX

I use Google Voice extensively and it works great. However I wouldn't recommend it for an iPad. The iPad and native google applications never seem to work all that well. Plus you have to have Google Voice call either Gchat or an actual number for it to work. The app itself does not harness call in terms of the conversation for the party. If you want to use the iPad I would use Skype and purchase the # plus yearly plan upfront. It is a good solution for the iPad over Google voice. If you have an android device then I would stick with google voice as its free and gchat is readily available.

showcase 66

I use Google Voice now for all my business stuff. I have Sprint which you can integrate your number with it or pick a number. My favorite thing with it, is setting the available call times. So people who call you on the weekend at 630 in the morning, the call wont get passed on to your cell, home, office or any other phone. The voicemail to text is a cool function but you will never understand the message. At least this has been my experience with it so far.

For the iPad, I believe you need to have the 3g service with it, otherwise it will make the call but also call your cell or other phone so you can talk to whomever. I usually use skype on my iPad like Kevin said above.

On another note, make sure most people that would be calling that number can actually call a google voice number. I went around and around with our cable companies phone service. Took a complaint to the FCC to get it straightened out and now works perfectly.

HulkSmash

Hi Guys. Hope everyone is doing well & that business is booming for all.

here is my question that I would like some thoughts on. I very rarely talk on the phone any more and text & email instead.

I REALLY wanted the Galaxy Note,however it is not available with my carrier (verizon) & I have had service with all of the major providers & frankly in all of the areas I have lived none of them come close to competing with verizon..i do however despise them I feel that my carrier works against me not with me..but I digress that is another topic for another time..

so here is what I am considering & would like feedback from anyone who has tried something similar.

I am considering purchasing the latest ipad & utilizing google voice for the very few phone calls I make. Does anyone see a problem with this &if so what

my next concern is that the people who call me can reliably reach me or leave me a voice message using this setup.

but I would MUCH rather carry one device vs my:
cell phone
camera
kindle
laptop
etc

verizon hasn't been able to give me a good answer. At&t hasn't been able to give me a good answer.

anyone have any ideas,thoughts, suggestions? I truly don't care what it costs if it works & it meets my needs.

thank you in advance for your thoughtd, ideas & suggestions. Or even alternative suggestions.

have a good night & again thank you

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2. Just bought my Wife the HTC ONE.

Both do all you have listed. Email, google voice, camera kindle, (mini laptop)

they're great.... I would strongly suggest looking at the samsung pad, rather then the apple, cheaper, much stronger processor, and just overall better.

call me anytime to discuss Dan.

Regards,

qmr55

Don't get an ipad. Get an android base tablet with a newer style processor. You will be much more pleased. They can be used to email, call, take pictures, read....everything you have listed. Plus, they will get THE BEST support for google voice in the future (like over seas support, mms messaging, etc.). Anything google product specifically, will always run better on an android base.....plus, google is always looking to upgrade their platform and apps and all the programs they build. Apple is just looking to make little changes to get the next ipad out. Yes I am an apple hater, but that doesn't even matter here. Don't overpay for an ipad when you will be presently surprised how much HAPPIER you will be with an android based tablet!

my head is spinning...i just want this to be easy .. Too many options. Colorado could you please pm me your number & I will try to call you when I get out of my next lawyer appointment...blood sucking leeches...
I haven't bought anything yet but want to make this change today...but I'm running out of steam & want to make the right choice for my needs...

lots of good ideas thank you . Sounds like the skype option is a better solution than google voice. Thanks more to come...damn cell battery going to die any moment thanks again

anotherdog

no don't get an android, get an ipad. I have both and frankly the galaxy tab feels like a chinese knock-off of the ipad. Everything is smoother, screen is beautiful and I use skype rather than voice.

Lets face it, its an iFuture.

Mike F

Don't get an ipad. Get an android base tablet with a newer style processor. You will be much more pleased. They can be used to email, call, take pictures, read....everything you have listed. Plus, they will get THE BEST support for google voice in the future (like over seas support, mms messaging, etc.). Anything google product specifically, will always run better on an android base.....plus, google is always looking to upgrade their platform and apps and all the programs they build. Apple is just looking to make little changes to get the next ipad out. Yes I am an apple hater, but that doesn't even matter here. Don't overpay for an ipad when you will be presently surprised how much HAPPIER you will be with an android based tablet!

+1, you can get an Android tablet that'll do everything the iPad can do and more for a fraction of the cost, and pretty much everything related to your Google account can be synced to it, like your contacts, calender, docs, etc. I picked up an HTC Wildfire S from Metro PCS a few months ago for $100 and only pay $50 a month for unlimited everything. Rooted it, got rid of all the Metro bloatware, and stuck an 8GB microSD card in it, couldn't be happier with it. The only thing an iPhone 4S can do that it can't is that Facetime chat crap, and that's just because it doesn't have a front-facing camera.

If you do go the Android tablet route, make sure it's one that can be rooted, as that'll allow you to totally customize the OS to your liking, get rid of any bloatware, install custom recovery, back up your tablet to a cloud service with Titanium Backup, and install custom ROMs like Cyanogen with Clockwork Mod. You're seriously missing out if you have an Android device that's not rooted or doesn't have good dev support in the Android community.

jhimes

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and an ASUS Transformer and both work great with Google Voice. I tried my sister's Ipad and didn't care for it.

Mike F

I wouldn't call it "FaceTime chat crap" cause it's totally awesome.

Awesome or not, it's just a Skype knockoff with a fancy name. A $200 Samsung Transform Ultra from Boost Mobile with no contract and $50 a month unlimited everything can do the same thing, and the cheapest iPhone 4 8GB on amazon is $250... and that's for the lowest capacity, last generation iPhone, with no Siri, and you're going to pay more monthly for a plan without unlimited data. But hey, what do I know, I'm just good with math...